HSBC Military Spouse Scholarship
Application Deadline Has Passed
We are no longer accepting applications for the HSBC Military Spouse Scholarship for the Fall 2012-Spring 2013 academic year.
Starting in the Fall 2012 semester, HSBC North America will be offering scholarships to military spouses through the newly established HSBC Military Spouse Scholarship. To qualify for funding, recipients must be new students or transfers who plan on enrolling for the first time in an undergraduate degree-seeking program at UMUC. Scholarship recipients will receive funding to cover a portion of educational expenses.
UMUC and HSBC welcome applications from all qualified candidates. Scholarships may be renewed on a term basis, provided the recipient continues to meet the eligibility criteria.
- Be the legal spouse of an active duty servicemember or activated Guard or Reserve member in pay grades E1-E7, W1-W2 and/or O1-O2.
- Be a new undergraduate student or new transfer for Fall 2012 semester. Apply for admission to UMUC now.
- Register for 6 credits or more to receive scholarship credit.
- Maintain continuous enrollment in the fall and spring, registering for 6 credits or more each semester. For the purposes of eligibility for this scholarship, continuous enrollment is defined as enrolling in and completing at least 6 credits each fall and spring term. The scholarship is renewable for up to six consecutive semesters in the fall and spring.
- Maintain a cumulative 2.5 GPA for scholarship renewal.
A maximum financial benefit of up to $1,500 per semester will be awarded to students who maintain at least a cumulative 2.5 GPA and register for 6 credits or more.
UMUC reserves the right to withhold funding if any of the required scholarship eligibility criteria is not met. The university reserves the right to make reductions to a scholarship award if it is determined the recipient is receiving additional financial aid that, when coupled with this scholarship, pushes the student over financial eligibility.
Please provide the following materials with your application:
- A 500- to 600-word essay explaining your academic goals and need for scholarship funding
- A copy of your spouse's proof of service statement or his/her most recent enlistment contract
- A copy of your Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) Form DD1172 or marriage license
After preparing the supporting materials, complete the HSBC Military Spouse Scholarship Application Form, and upload supporting documents.
Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered. Before submitting the application form, ensure all required documents have been attached.
A review committee comprising UMUC Military Partnerships staff will evaluate HSBC Military Spouse Scholarship applications. Assessments will be based on financial need and the strength of the essay.
Scholarships will be awarded beginning in the Fall 2012 semester and will continue during the 2012-2013 academic year for eligible students.
Note: Students who choose to take courses during Summer 2013 must register for at least 6 credits to receive scholarship funding for that session. The annual maximum scholarship for any student taking courses in the fall, spring and summer cannot exceed $4,500 per academic year.
To be considered for funding, the applicant must complete the online application by Friday, July 13, 2012, for the Fall 2012–Spring 2013 academic year.
For inquiries, e-mail Sevgi Rochford.