The UMUC Completion Scholarship
Turn Your Associate's Degree into a Bachelor's for $12,000 or Less
UMUC offers Maryland community college graduates the opportunity to earn a bachelor's degree at a significantly reduced cost with the UMUC Completion Scholarship. Award recipients can complete a bachelor's degree program for $12,000 or less, well below the typical tuition cost for in-state students.
If you've graduated with your associate's degree from a Maryland community college, you are automatically eligible for this scholarship! There is no separate application process for the Completion Scholarship. You will be eligible for the scholarship if you meet the required criteria, and UMUC will contact you if you are selected to receive the scholarship.
If you graduated with an associate's degree from a Maryland community college, you are guaranteed admission to UMUC and are eligible for the Completion Scholarship. No other university offers a completion scholarship with guaranteed admission. See complete eligibility criteria below.
Note: This scholarship is available to students who have earned up to 12 credits at UMUC.
A candidate for this scholarship must be a UMUC student who
- Has completed an associate's degree from one of Maryland's 16 community colleges
- Is a Maryland resident or active duty military
- Is admitted as a degree-seeking student pursuing a first bachelor's degree
- Is not receiving 100% tuition assistance or reimbursement
Please note: If you are a financial aid recipient, you must complete all federal requirements in order to receive Title IV funding.
Scholarship Deadline Information
Students should register for classes before the start of the first online session.
Read more about eligibility criteria in Frequently Asked Questions
How to Apply
- Complete the UMUC application for admission.
- Have your school(s) send official transcripts directly to UMUC electronically or mail sealed, paper transcripts to:
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD 20783
- Contact a UMUC advisor to register for first term classes.
Scholarship Award and Disbursement
If you are selected to receive the UMUC Completion Scholarship, you will be awarded $100 in scholarship funds for every credit you register for and complete at UMUC. It is your responsibility to pay for the entire balance due upon registration. If you don't make this payment, you will be dropped from your selected classes. Remember, you also have the following options to pay for classes:
- Take advantage of UMUC's interest-free monthly payment plan.
- Pay for your classes using financial aid if you applied for FAFSA. View your financial aid package in your MyUMUC student portal.
- You may pay out of pocket. Estimate your costs by viewing our affordable tuition rates.
If you add, drop, or withdraw after scholarship registration deadlines listed above, your scholarship may be adjusted at the end of each semester. You may receive additional scholarship funding if you added classes, or you may have a balance because you dropped or withdrew from a class.
If you owe a balance, please be sure to pay for the balance as soon as possible. Not paying your balance will void your ability to register for classes and receive the Completion Scholarship going forward. Any unpaid balance will be sent to collections per UMUC institution policy.
The UMUC Completion Scholarship requires 3 credits of enrollment and will disburse 10 days prior to the start date in which you meet the enrollment requirement.
- Scholarship funds are disbursed during the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
- Students must meet the university's requirements for satisfactory academic progress in order to maintain scholarship eligibility.
- Students must be in good financial standing at UMUC.
- The UMUC Completion Scholarship is only applicable to UMUC tuition and fees and is non-refundable.
- Under the Completion Scholarship program, you will pay a total of $12,000 or less to complete your bachelor's degree, unless you need more than 60 credits. The UMUC Completion Scholarship can only be applied for up to 60 credits. Anything beyond 60 credits is your responsibility and you will be charged the regular tuition and fees.
- These processes are subject to change with or without notice. Please review this page for any updates with your Completion Scholarship application or renewal.
Before You Apply for Admission
If you have dual enrollment, you are eligible for the Completion Scholarship once you complete your associate's degree. You must have earned a cumulative 2.0 GPA at both institutions in order to be considered.
No, it does not matter when you earned your associate's degree from a Maryland community college.
No. Only U.S citizens and permanent resident non-citizens are eligible for the scholarship.
Am I eligible if I receive tuition assistance through work or if I'm an active duty military servicemember or veteran?
If your employer or military affiliate tuition remission or assistance pays 100% of your tuition and fees, you are not eligible for the scholarship. Students who receive partial employer tuition remission or assistance are eligible for the scholarship. However, the scholarship award may be pro-rated based on remaining balance due.
Veteran students using educational benefits are eligible if they are Maryland residents and meet other scholarship eligibility criteria. However, if VA pays 100% of your tuition and fees, you are not eligible for the scholarship.
Employees of UMUC and their dependents, as well as anyone who receives remission of fees from other institutions, are not eligible to apply for UMUC institutional scholarships or to receive UMUC institutional grants.
The FAFSA is not required. However, we strongly recommend you complete the FAFSA in order to be eligible for other forms of institutional, federal, and state aid.
No. The UMUC Completion Scholarship will be adjusted accordingly to ensure you will be able to earn the final 60 credits of your bachelor’s degree for $12,000 or less. Your cost may be higher if you need to take additional credits, choose to switch programs during your study, or wish to take extra classes.
After You Apply for Admission
For you to be considered for the UMUC Completion Scholarship, UMUC needs to receive a copy of your final official transcript from your community college indicating the attainment of your associate's degree.
If you are unable to obtain an official transcript with your degree information listed, please contact your advisor.
There are several ways you can submit your final transcript with associate's degree information listed to UMUC.
We prefer this method if your community college has the capability. When requesting your transcript, be sure to ask your community college if they can send your transcript electronically to UMUC.
Please mail your transcript to:
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD 20783
- You may drop off your transcript at one of our convenient regional academic centers listed below, especially if you are trying to submit your transcript last minute in order to meet the deadline:
You will be notified through a financial aid notification in your student portal.
If you need to drop a class during the semester, it is best to contact your advisor first. If you choose to drop your class during a semester, you may want to consider replacing it with another class to ensure you can complete the semester with at least 3 credits. You should review our Drop and Withdrawal policy before you drop a class because it could have a negative impact on your financial aid. And be sure to visit the Academic Calendar and view the Drop/Withdrawal deadline.
If you drop or withdraw from a class during the semester, your Completion Scholarship will be adjusted and you may owe a balance. If you owe a balance, please be sure to pay it as soon as possible. Not paying your balance will void your ability to register for classes and receive the Completion Scholarship going forward. Any unpaid balance will be sent to collections per UMUC institution policy.
If you do not complete the semester with at least 3 credits, your Completion Scholarship will be canceled at the end of the semester.
After You Are Awarded the Completion Scholarship
To ensure your scholarship is awarded in a timely manner, please be sure to enroll in your courses prior to the start of the semester and meet all of the renewal criteria outlined below.
For the scholarship to renew, you must
- Meet the university's requirements for satisfactory academic progress
- Earn a GPA of 2.0 or higher each semester
- Not have earned any "FN" grade in any course work
- Have completed at least 3 credits during each fall and spring semester (summer is optional)
It is possible for you to receive additional scholarships at UMUC. You must complete the FAFSA in order to be considered for other forms of institutional, federal, or state aid. Please keep in mind that if you receive multiple scholarships, amounts may be adjusted or canceled in compliance with our institutional funding limit policy.
The UMUC Completion Scholarship requires a continuous enrollment at UMUC and will pay up to 60 credits toward graduation.
The scholarship will cover the 3 credits of the EXCL course. Subsequently, additional credits earned after the completion of the EXCL course will not be paid for.