The UMUC Completion Scholarship
Turn Your Associate's Degree into a Bachelor's for About $12,000
UMUC offers Maryland community college graduates the opportunity to earn a bachelor's degree at a significantly reduced cost with the UMUC Completion Scholarship. Award recipients can complete a bachelor's degree program for $12,000 or less, well below the typical tuition cost for in-state students.
If you've graduated with your associate's degree from a Maryland community college, you are automatically eligible for this scholarship!
If you graduated with an associate's degree from a Maryland community college, you are guaranteed admission to UMUC and are eligible for the Completion Scholarship. No other university offers a completion scholarship with guaranteed admission. See complete eligibility criteria below.
Note: This scholarship is not available to current UMUC students. To view the more than 50 scholarships available for current students, visit scholarships.
A candidate for this scholarship must be a new UMUC student who
- Has completed an associate's degree from one of Maryland's 16 community colleges
- Is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident non-citizen
- Is a Maryland resident or active duty military
- Must be a degree seeking student pursuing a first bachelor's degree
Scholarship Deadline Information
- Students must apply for the Completion Scholarship by September 15, 2015 for the fall semester, and by February 15, 2016 for the spring semester.
- UMUC must receive your final transcript—showing the attainment of your associate's degree—by October 1, 2015 for the fall semester, and by March 1, 2016 for the spring semester.
- There are no exceptions to the deadlines. Please be sure to apply and turn in your final transcript showing the attainment of your associate's degree on time, or you will not be considered for the scholarship.
Read more about eligibility criteria in Frequently Asked Questions
How to Apply
- Complete the UMUC Completion Scholarship application
- Complete the UMUC application for admission
- Have your school(s) send official transcripts directly to UMUC electronically or mail sealed, paper transcripts to:
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD 20783
- Contact a UMUC advisor to receive an evaluation of transfer credits and design a degree completion plan.
Graduates from any Maryland community college may transfer up to 70 credits from their associate's degree to UMUC. The UMUC Completion Scholarship can be applied to up to 60 credits of undergraduate coursework.
- Part-time students must enroll for a minimum of 6 credits in each fall and spring term and earn a total of 15 credits per academic year. Part-time recipients will be awarded $615 each fall and spring term, up to a total of $4,920 for a total of 60 credits or 4 years.
- Full-time students must enroll for a minimum of 12 credits in each fall and spring term and earn a total of 30 credits per academic year. Full-time recipients will be awarded $1,230 each fall and spring term, up to a total of $4,920 for a total of 60 credits or 2 years.
- Summer students (part- or full-time) who wish to take additional courses during the summer term to complete their program faster or even out their course load, must still enroll for the minimum number of credits in each fall and spring term and complete their program within the specified number of years.
Scholarship Award and Disbursement
If awarded, the Completion Scholarship will not be posted in your account until mid-semester or later. Therefore, it is your responsibility to pay for the entire balance due upon registration. Failure to pay upon registration will cause you to be dropped from your selected classes. You have the following options to pay for classes:
- Take advantage of UMUC's interest-free monthly payment plan.
- Pay for your classes using financial aid if you applied for FAFSA. View your financial aid package in your MyUMUC student portal.
- Pay out of pocket.
Once you have paid the entire balance and upon scholarship disbursement, you may be eligible for a refund, if your payment method allows a refund.
All scholarship recipients must meet with an advisor and establish a degree plan to follow throughout their enrollment at UMUC.
- Scholarship funds are disbursed in the fall and spring terms, not in the summer term.
- Students must maintain a 2.0 GPA each term at UMUC and maintain a grade of "C" or better in all coursework required for their major and minor.
- Students must be in good financial standing at UMUC.
- The UMUC Completion Scholarship is only applicable to UMUC tuition and fees and is non-refundable.
- Under the Completion Scholarship program, you will pay a total of $12,000 or less to complete your bachelor's degree, unless you need more than 60 credits. The UMUC Completion Scholarship can only be applied for up to 60 credits. Anything beyond 60 credits is your responsibility and you will be charged the regular tuition and fee.
- UMUC reserves to right to change or modify the terms of the scholarship at any time, with or without notice.
Before You Apply for the Completion Scholarship
When should I apply for the UMUC Completion Scholarship as a Maryland community college transfer student?
We recommend you apply for the Completion Scholarship program during your final semester at your community college. You should submit an application for the Completion Scholarship along with an application for admission to UMUC.
addition, if you apply for admission to UMUC before you have earned your associate's degree at one of the Maryland Community Colleges, you may qualify for the alliance application fee waiver, which is a savings of $50.
No—however, we are unable to process your Completion Scholarship application until you have applied for admission at UMUC. We strongly recommend youapply for admission first before submitting your Completion Scholarship application. You may apply for admission here.
Am I eligible if I have dual enrollment or if I am a current UMUC student who transferred from a Maryland community college?
If you have dual enrollment, you are eligible once you complete your associate's degree. Under the dual enrollment exception, you must have started your academic study with the community college first before enrolling at UMUC, and you must have earned a cumulative 2.0 GPA at both institutions in order to be considered.
Current UMUC students who have completed coursework at UMUC after earning an associate's degree are not eligible to receive the UMUC Completion Scholarship. To view scholarship opportunities for currently enrolled UMUC students, please visit the scholarship page.
No, it does not matter when you earned your associate's degree from a Maryland community college.
No. Only U.S citizens and permanent resident non-citizens are eligible for the scholarship.
Yes. However, the scholarship award may be adjusted if you are receiving partial tuition assistance. If your tuition assistance pays 100% of your tuition and fees, you are not eligible for the scholarship.
Veteran students using educational benefits are eligible if they are Maryland residents and meet other scholarship eligibility criteria. However, if VA pays 100% of your tuition and fees, you are not eligible for the scholarship.
If your employer tuition remission or assistance pays 100% of your tuition and fees, you are not eligible for the scholarship. Students who receive partial employer tuition remission or assistance are eligible for the scholarship. However, the scholarship award may be prorated based on remaining balance due.
Employees of UMUC and their dependents, as well as anyone who receives remission of fees from other institutions, are not eligible to apply for UMUC institutional scholarships or to receive UMUC institutional grants.
To take courses in the summer, you will have to budget for and pay standard UMUC tuition and fees for the summer term, because scholarship disbursements are only made in the fall and spring terms. However, your subsequent disbursements will be adjusted so that, by the end of your degree program, the overall cost of all credits, including those taken in the summer, will be $12,000 or less.
The FAFSA is not required. However, we stronglyrecommend you complete the FAFSA in order to be eligible for other forms of institutional, federal, and state aid.
No. The UMUC Completion Scholarship can only be applied to tuition and fees. Scholarship funds are not eligible for a refund.
No. The UMUC Completion Scholarship will be adjusted accordingly to ensure you will be able to earn your bachelor’s degree for $12,000 or less. However, this is based on your needing 60 credits or less in order to complete your bachelor’s degree. Your cost may be higher if you choose to switch programs during your study or wish to take extra classes.
You can contact us via e-mail at CCTransfer@umuc.edu.
After You Have Applied for the Completion Scholarship
Congratulations for being one step closer to obtaining your bachelor's degree at UMUC! Now that you have applied for the Completion Scholarship, you will be contacted by one of our education coordinators via e-mail within 2–3 business days. It is very important for you to review all the details in your confirmation e-mail as it will contain your next steps at UMUC.
An assigned education coordinator will serve as your education liaison at UMUC. Your education coordinator is able to assist you with transfer, transcript evaluation, Completion Scholarship questions, academic advising, and registration needs. Feel free to ask your education coordinator about any questions you may have.
In order to be considered for the UMUC Completion Scholarship, UMUC needs to receive a copy of your final official transcript from your community college indicating the attainment of your associate's degree. Any official transcript that does not have the associate's degree information listed cannot be used for the purpose of the Completion Scholarship.
Fall Applicants: UMUC must receive your final transcript with associate's degree information listed by October 1. Any transcripts received after October 1 will not be considered.
Spring Applicants: UMUC must receive your final transcript with associate's degree information listed by March 1. Any transcripts received after March 1 will not be considered.
Please note the dates listed above are not the postmark dates.
If you are unable to obtain an official transcript with your degree information listed, please contact your education coordinator or e-mail CCTransfer@umuc.edu before the deadline for each semester.
There are several ways you can submit your final transcript with associate's degree information listed to UMUC.
We prefer this method if your community college has the capability. When requesting your transcript, be sure to ask your community college if they can send your transcript electronically to UMUC.
Please mail your transcript to:
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD 20783
- You may drop off your transcript at one of our convenient Regional Academic Centers listed below, especially if you are trying to submit your transcript last minute in order to meet the deadline:
All applicants will receive a notification letter via e-mail regardless if they are awarded or not.
- Fall applicants will receive an e-mail notification by November 1, 2015.
- Spring applicants will receive an e-mail notification by April 1, 2016.
If you have applied and did not receive a notification letter via e-mail by the dates listed above, please contact CCTransfer@umuc.edu for assistance.
There is only one more thing left to do: enroll in classes! Since you will not receive a notification regarding your Completion Scholarship status until later this semester, you will need to register for the minimum required credits (at least 6 credits for part-time status, and at least 12 credits for full time status) now and pay for your classes in full. Payment is expected within 10 days of registration, unless you are within 10 days or less of the beginning of the semester, then the payment is due upon registration. Failure to pay will result in being dropped from your courses.
We strongly recommend you schedule an advising appointment with your assigned education coordinator to go over your first semester class selection and review basic academic and scholarship requirements before you register for your classes.
Please keep in mind that you are required to enroll and complete at least 6 credits in each spring or fall semester in order to receive the Completion Scholarship. In addition, you are also required to complete minimum of 15 credits per academic year if you are awarded the Completion Scholarship.
In order to avoid being dropped from a class that you have registered for, please ensure you have made payment arrangements to cover the entire balance due. Payment is expected within 10 days of registration, unless you are within 10 days or less of the beginning of the semester, then the payment is due upon registration. For more information, please read about disenrollment.
If you are using financial aid, please be sure you have enough aid to cover your entire tuition due. If you do not have enough aid to cover the entire balance, you will need to find an alternative way to pay the difference, such as using UMUC's interest-free monthly payment plan.
If you need to drop a class during the semester, it is best to contact your education coordinator first. If you choose to drop your class during a semester, you may want to consider replacing it with another class to ensure you can complete the semester with at least 6 credits. You should review our Drop and Withdrawal policy before you drop a class because it could have a negative impact on your financial aid. And be sure to visit the Academic Calendar and view the Drop/Withdrawal deadline.
If you do not complete the semester with at least 6 credits, your Completion Scholarship will be canceled at the end of the semester.
We do not award the Completion Scholarship during the summer. Your scholarship application will be reviewed with our fall applications and you will not receive a notification regarding the award decision until November 1.
You are welcome to begin your enrollment at UMUC during a summer semester, and enrolling during summer will not disqualify you from receiving the Completion Scholarship. However, you will have to budget for and pay standard the UMUC tuition and fee.
In addition, if you begin classes at UMUC during the summer, the credits you take during your initial summer semester do not qualify for the $12,000 or less bachelor's degree, and the credits will not count towards the 15 credits required in the academic year. Once you are awarded the Completion Scholarship, the classes you take during subsequent summer semesters will qualify under the $12,000 or less bachelor's degree guarantee, and credits can be used to fulfill the 15 credits required for the academic year.
After you have been awarded the Completion Scholarship
You should be able to find your Completion Scholarship in your MyUMUC student portal. Once inside of your student center, please look under the Finance section, and click on View Financial Aid. Your scholarship will be posted in your account by November 15 in the fall and April 15 in the spring.
In order for your Completion Scholarship to disburse properly, you must first be registered for at least 6 credits during each spring or fall semester. After your award is posted in your account, and you are actively enrolled in 6 credits or more for the current semester, your scholarship will disburse automatically. If your scholarship does not disburse automatically by December 1 in the fall or May 1 in the spring, please contact your education coordinator or e-mail CCTransfer@umuc.edu for additional assistance.
The UMUC Completion Scholarship is designed to ensure a Maryland community college graduate can complete a UMUC bachelor's degree for $12,000 or less. After you are selected to receive the Completion Scholarship, you are guaranteed to pay no more than $12,000 for up to 60 credits, or the number credits required completing your bachelor's degree, whichever comes first.
Please note that you will be billed at the current standard tuition rate and mandatory fees set for Maryland or military students.
This scholarship program will only pay for courses that are required to obtain your bachelor's degree, and it will not pay for any additional coursework not required or related to the major. If you change your program while at UMUC and thus need more than 60 credits in order to complete the degree, you will be responsible for any additional credits exceeding 60.
In addition, the UMUC Completion Scholarship will increase proportionally if UMUC tuition and fee rates increase in the future to ensure you can earn your degree for $12,000 or less.
Note: If you first started with UMUC during the summer semester, the credits you take during your initial summer semester do not qualify for the $12,000 or less degree guarantee, and the credits will not count towards the 15 credits required in the academic year. Once you are awarded the Completion Scholarship, the classes you take during subsequent summer semesters will qualify under the $12,000 or less bachelor's degree guarantee, and credits can be used to fulfill the 15 credits required for the academic year.
The scholarship renews automatically if all renewal criteria are met. All scholarship renewals will be posted in your account by April 1 for spring semesters and November 1 for fall semesters.
For the scholarship to renew, the student
- Must have earned a semester GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Must not have earned any "F" or "FN" grade in any course work
- Must not have earned any "D" grade in a class required by the major or minor
- Must not have repeated any coursework while under the Completion Scholarship program
- Must have completed at least 6 credits during each spring and fall semester
- Must have completed at least 15 credits during the academic year
- For students who begin in summer or fall, your academic year consists of fall, spring and summer. You will need to complete a minimum of 15 credits by the end of summer of the following year.
- For students who begin in spring, your academic year consists of spring, summer and fall. You will need to complete a minimum of 15 credits by the end of fall semester of the same year.
- Must have submitted your final transcript with degree information if you were tentatively awarded based on your letter of completion
If you fail to meet one or more of the criteria listed above, your Completion Scholarship will be canceled permanently. If your scholarship is canceled, you will receive a notification via e-mail.
Since you have already paid your tuition and fees in full, once the scholarship disburses in your account, you may be eligible to receive a refund depending on your payment method.
- If you paid out of pocket by credit card, debit card, or e-check, you will receive a refund back in the original form of payment. Be sure to check your bank statement for refund.
- If you used financial aid to pay for your classes, a refund will be issued to you via check or direct deposit.
- If you have a payment plan, please see the next question.
Please keep in mind if your tuition is covered by your employer, military branches, or the VA, you are not eligible for this scholarship program and you will not receive a refund because the Completion Scholarship is not a refundable scholarship.
If you have any questions regarding a refund, please contact the Office of Student Accounts at 800-888-8682 or e-mail email@example.com.
If you have a payment plan set up through ECSI and your scholarship disburses, you have two options:
- After your scholarship disburses, you may modify your existing payment plan by logging into your ECSI payment plan account or by contacting ECSI at 866-927-1438.
- If you choose not to make any adjustments to your payment plan, then you will be responsible for your scheduled payments per the original terms and conditions.
Students who become delinquent with their tuition payment plans may be dropped from their courses in the current or future semesters. See additional information regarding non-payment.
If you have any questions regarding your payment plan or refund, please contact the Office of Student Accounts at 800-888-8682 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
No. The Completion Scholarship disbursement is only made in the spring and fall semesters.
It is possible for you to receive additional scholarships at UMUC. You must complete the FAFSA in order to be considered for other forms of institutional, federal, or state aid. Please keep in mind that if you receive multiple scholarships, amounts may be adjusted or canceled in compliance with our institutional funding limit policy.
Will my scholarship be affected if I take classes at another institution while still enrolled at UMUC?
If you wish to take classes at an outside institution, you must first gain permission from your education coordinator. Classes taken outside of UMUC may apply to your degree requirements but cannot be used as part of the minimum credit requirement for the scholarship.
If something prevented you from taking classes during the semester which you were first awarded, you will need to notify us in writing via CCTransfer@umuc.edu.
- Spring applicants need to notify us via e-mail by May 1 each semester
- Fall applicant need to notify us via e-mail by December 1 each semester
If we do not hear from you by the deadlines listed above during each semester, your application will be canceled and your award will be removed.
No, the Completion Scholarship requires a continuous enrollment at UMUC until graduation. Any breaks in enrollment may result in cancellation of your scholarship.
If you are considering taking EXCL 301, our Prior Learning program, be sure to speak to your Education Coordinator first. Since EXCL 301 is a very demanding and writing-intensive course, we recommend taking it during the summer. However, you may choose to take EXCL 301 anytime during the year. If you decide to take it during a spring or fall semester, please note that EXCL 301 will only give you 3 academic credits and you will need to complete at least 3 more to meet the minimum credit requirement. Any credits you earn from the EXCL program other than the EXCL 301 class itself will NOT count toward the credit requirement for the Completion Scholarship. In addition, any credits you earn from the program are excluded from the $12,000 or less degree guarantee due to unique tuition structure of the EXCL program.
For More Information
Call 855-321-UMUC (8682) or e-mail email@example.com.
Fall Applicant Update
Fall award notifications will be sent in mid- to late October via e-mail. If you have already applied for the scholarship, you do not need to apply again. If you are selected to receive the Completion Scholarship, you will be notified in MyUMUC in early November. Please see How the Scholarship Works section for more information.