The UMUC Completion Scholarship
Turn Your Associate's Degree into a Bachelor's for About $12,000
UMUC offers Maryland community college graduates the opportunity to earn a bachelor's degree at a significantly reduced cost with the UMUC Completion Scholarship. Award recipients can complete a bachelor's degree program for about $12,000—an average of just $199 per credit—well below the typical tuition cost for in-state students.
If you've graduated with your associate's degree from a Maryland community college, you are automatically qualified for this scholarship!
If you graduated with an associate's degree from a Maryland community college, you are guaranteed admission to UMUC and are eligible for the Completion Scholarship. No other university offers a completion scholarship with guaranteed admission. See complete eligibility criteria below.
Note: This scholarship is not available to current UMUC students. To view the more than 50 scholarships available for current students, visit scholarships.
A candidate for this scholarship must be a new UMUC student who
- Has completed an associate's degree from one of Maryland's 16 community colleges
- Is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident non-citizen
- Is a Maryland resident or active duty military
- Must be a degree seeking student pursuing a first bachelor's degree
- Must apply for the Completion Scholarship before the start date of your first class
Read more about eligibility criteria in Frequently Asked Questions
How to Apply
- Complete the UMUC Completion Scholarship application
- Complete the UMUC application for admission
- Have your school(s) send official transcripts directly to UMUC electronically or mail sealed, paper transcripts to:
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD 20783
- Contact a UMUC advisor to receive an evaluation of transfer credits and design a degree completion plan.
How the Scholarship Works
Graduates from any Maryland community college may transfer up to 70 credits from their associate's degree to UMUC. The UMUC Completion Scholarship can be applied to up to 60 credits of undergraduate study at UMUC, reducing the cost per credit to just $199.
- Part-time students must enroll for a minimum of 6 credits in each fall and spring term and earn a total of 15 credits per academic year. Part-time recipients will be awarded $615 each fall and spring term, up to a total of $4,440 for a total of 60 credits or 4 years.
- Full-time students must enroll for a minimum of 12 credits in each fall and spring term and earn a total of 30 credits per academic year. Full-time recipients will be awarded $1,230 each fall and spring term, up to a total of $4,440 for a total of 60 credits or 2 years.
- Summer students (part- or full-time) who wish to take additional courses during the summer term to complete their program faster or even out their course load, must still enroll for the minimum number of credits in each fall and spring term and complete their program within the specified number of years.
All scholarship recipients must meet with an advisor and establish a degree plan to follow throughout their enrollment at UMUC.
- Scholarship funds are disbursed in the fall and spring terms, not in the summer term.
- Students must maintain a 2.0 GPA each term at UMUC and maintain a grade of "C" or better in all coursework required for their major and minor.
- Students must be in good financial standing at UMUC.
- The UMUC Completion Scholarship is only applicable to UMUC tuition and fees and is non-refundable.
- For students transferring in more than 60 credits and needing less than 60 credits to complete their bachelor's degree, the final scholarship award disbursement will be prorated to maintain the $199 average cost per credit.
- The total scholarship award is calculated by credit, up to a maximum of 60 credits. Disbursements are made in each spring and fall term in the set amounts described above. As a result, depending on the student's course load in any particular term, the standard scholarship award may result in an average total cost per credit that is higher or lower than $199, particularly in summer terms when no disbursements are made. The standard award amount will be adjusted in the student's final term to ensure a total average cost of $199 per credit over the course of the program.
Am I eligible if I have dual enrollment or am a current UMUC student who transferred from a Maryland community college eligible?
If you have dual enrollment, you are eligible once you complete your associate's degree. In addition, you must have earned a cumulative 2.0 GPA at both institutions in order to be considered.
Current UMUC students are not eligible to receive the UMUC Completion Scholarship. However, if you are enrolled with UMUC for Spring 2014, but have not yet completed any coursework, you will be made eligible retroactively and your account will be adjusted. You must apply for the scholarship and meet all eligibility criteria.
No, it does not matter when you earned your associate's degree from a Maryland community college.
No. Only U.S citizens and permanent resident non-citizens are eligible for the scholarship.
Yes. However, the scholarship award may be adjusted if you are receiving partial tuition assistance. If your tuition assistance pays 100 percent of your tuition and fees, you are not eligible for the scholarship.
Veteran students using educational benefits are eligible if they are Maryland residents and meet other scholarship eligibility criteria.
If your employer tuition remission or assistance pays 100 percent of your tuition and fees, you are not eligible for the scholarship. Students who receive partial employer tuition remission or assistance are eligible for the scholarship. However, the scholarship award may be prorated based on remaining balance due. Employees of UMUC and their dependents, as well as anyone who receives remission of fees from other institutions, are not eligible to apply for UMUC institutional scholarships or to receive UMUC institutional grants.
To take courses in the summer, you will have to budget for and pay standard UMUC tuition and fees for the summer term, because scholarship disbursements are only made in the fall and spring terms. However, your subsequent disbursements will be adjusted so that, by the end of your degree program, the average cost of all credits—including those taken in the summer—will be $199.
If I change my enrollment status from part-time to full-time or full-time to part-time will my scholarship be affected?
Yes. You can switch from a full-time to part-time enrollment status or vice versa one time in your academic career at UMUC and maintain eligibility for the scholarship. But by changing your enrollment status, you may incur a balance due for any difference in tuition and fees accrued. For more information, contact the scholarship coordinator at email@example.com.
No. The UMUC Completion Scholarship will be increased accordingly if UMUC tuition and fee rates increase so that you will still pay a total average of $199 per credit.
You must first be registered for the required number of credits in order for the scholarship to be placed in your account. Scholarship award will be disbursed to your account once you have met the enrollment requirements for the current term.
When you enroll in a course, payment is expected within 10 days, unless we are within 10 days or less of the beginning of the term, then payment is expected within two days. Once your scholarship is visible in MyUMUC, you can deduct the amount of the scholarship for that term from your total bill to identify your balance due. If you do not pay the remainder of your balance by the due date, you will be dropped from your classes. For more information, please read more about disenrollment.
No. The UMUC Completion Scholarship can only be applied to tuition and fees. Scholarship funds are not eligible for a refund.
The FAFSA is not required. However, it is recommended that you complete the FAFSA in order to be eligible for other forms of institutional, federal, and state aid.
Yes, but you must complete the FAFSA in order to be considered for other forms of institutional, federal, or state aid.
Will my scholarship be affected if I take classes at another institution while still enrolled at UMUC?
If you wish to take classes at an outside institution, you must first gain permission from your advisor. Classes taken outside of UMUC may apply to your degree requirements but will not be used as part of the minimum credit requirement for the scholarship.
Yes. The scholarship renews automatically if all scholarship criteria are met.
No. The scholarship is only awarded to undergraduate students.
Courses cannot be repeated under the terms of eligibility for the UMUC Completion Scholarship. If you receive an "F" or "FN" in a course or a "D" in a course required for your major and minor, the scholarship will be terminated. If your term GPA falls below a 2.0, you will no longer be eligible for the scholarship and it will be terminated. You also must meet satisfactory academic progress standards, which may be affected by a grade of "W" or "Incomplete." For more information, please see UMUC's academic policies.
No. Courses cannot be repeated under the eligibility requirements of the UMUC Completion Scholarship.
For More Information
Call 855-321-UMUC (8682) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.