Let's Get Started
Now that you have been admitted to UMUC, it's time for you to take the next steps to properly transition into your program. Before registering for your courses, make sure you have received your:
- Admissions letter
- Advisor e-mail with course recommendations
- MyUMUC login instructions
What is an EmplID?
- The EmplID is a unique student identification number.
- It is not your Social Security number.
- Please use your EmplID in all correspondence with the university.
MyUMUC—Your One-Stop Information Center
After being admitted to UMUC, you'll receive an e-mail with access instructions to the MyUMUC Student Portal, your one-stop student information center where you can
- Check financial aid status
- Register for classes (Army students must register through the Go ArmyEd portal)
- Update your personal information
- Order course materials
- Certify veterans benefits
- Find out about UMUC events
- Complete a host of other student transactions, including checking grades or reviewing a degree audit
Keep a copy of your access instructions handy, as you will need to visit the portal throughout your time at UMUC.
Academic Advising—Your First Point of Contact
UMUC has a well-trained advising team to assist you at different points of your academic journey.
Once you have applied to UMUC, you should expect an advisor to follow up with you. An advisor will use the phone number or e-mail that you provided to contact you with important details about preparing for your first semester.
Be sure to keep in touch with your advisor who can help you navigate your program while here at UMUC.
Please contact Military or Veterans Advising at 800-888-UMUC (8682) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
for active duty military; email@example.com
While your advisor may change over the course of your academic journey at UMUC, each advisor is knowledgeable to help you with any questions you may have.
Let’s Get Organized
Organization is a key factor in student success. Here are some quick tips to help you keep things in order.
- Sign up for a UMUC e-mail address to keep track of all university e-mails.
- Bookmark your MyUMUC Student Portal page to have your personal data, finances, and class information readily available.
- Make a folder on your computer to store course-related documents.
Keep your e-mail address current by using the tabs in the MyUMUC Student Portal.
MyUMUC > MyInfo > Contact Information > Email Address