Frequently Asked Questions
Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions about paying your tuition.
- How do I know what date my tuition is due?
- When can I expect my tuition assistance to be applied?
- Where should I send my tuition assistance?
- When will I receive my refund?
- Can you deposit my refund directly into my bank account?
- Can I request an extension on my due date?
- Why hasn't my personal check been applied to my account?
- For what timeframe does the 1098T cover?
- Can you send my 1098T to me electronically?
- How can I obtain a copy of my statement of account?
- Where can I find the tuition rates for this term?
- How do I make a payment?
- How can I see how much I owe?
- Why was my credit card declined?
- What happens if I don’t pay my bill?
- Can I use a payment plan to assist in settling my student account balance?
- How can I prevent my account from being transferred to State Central Collections Unit (SCCU)?
- Can I register when I sign up for a prior balance plan?
- Why am I receiving notices to pay when I have an active payment plan?
- How long will it take for my Payment Authorization to be processed?
- Can I use my financial aid to cover my prior balance?
- What happens if my account goes to collections?
- Can I pay my SCCU account at UMUC?
- Can I continue my education at UMUC after I pay SCCU in full?
- I cannot afford the payment plan options offered. What else can I do?
- Does UMUC work with a lender that offers alternative loans to UMUC students?
You can view your account by visiting MyUMUC and clicking on MyAcademics > Finances> Account Summary.
The due date for each charge is listed on the far right under "Due Date."
Tuition Assistance is applied to your account within 48 hours of receipt. If your account does not reflect your tuition assistance payment after 48 hours, please contact our office at 800-888-UMUC (8682), select option 2.
There is currently not an online confirmation process for tuition assistance forms. If your account does not reflect your tuition assistance payment after 72 hours, please contact our office at 800-888-UMUC (8682), select option 2.
Refunds for payments in excess of your charges are generated the following business day depending on the source of the payment. Please refer below:
- Personal check payments are processed 21 days after the credit becomes available. Once your refund has been processed, you can expect to receive a check within 7-11 business days.
- Credit card refunds are generated weekly and will be charged back to the credit used.
- Financial Aid refunds are processed the following business day. Once your refund has been processed, you can expect to receive a check within 7-11 business days.
- Cash or money order refunds are refunded the following business day in the form of a check. Once your refund has been processed, you can expect to receive a check within 7-11 business day.
Yes! UMUC offers the convenience of direct deposit. You can sign up to have your refunds deposited directly into your checking or savings account. To be eligible, all you need is an active U.S. bank account, your routing number and your account number. Sign up now online through MyUMUC.
After logging into MyUMUC, choose To Student Portal, then Student Center, then Account Inquiry (located in Finances), then choose the Account Services tab on the top right.
If you have questions about setting up direct deposit, please contact your UMUC division for assistance.
Unfortunately no. However, if you are experiencing difficulty with the application of your payment option, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Payments are applied within 24 hours of receipt. If your personal check is not applied to your account within 7-10 business days after you mailed it to UMUC, e-mail us at email@example.com or call us at 800-888-UMUC (8682), select option 2.
The 1098T form summarizes what UMUC billed you within a particular calendar year starting from January 1 through December 31.
You can print the form by logging into your MyUMUC account. To access, view, and/or print your 1098-T Tax Form, please login to your MyUMUC account. After logging in, click on:
Under "My Account," click on the Tax Information link, then select the applicable tax year and click "View."
To receive your statement of account, please e-mail the Office of Student Accounts at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 800-888-UMUC (8682) select option 2.
Tuition rates can be found by visiting the Tuition and Payments web site.
For your convenience, UMUC accepts a variety of payment methods, including major credits, check and money order, and e-check.
- Credit Card (AMEX, Discover, Visa, or MasterCard) To pay any UMUC account balances online, log in to MyUMUC, select MyAcademics > MyFinances > Make a Payment.
- Check and Money Order Check and money order payments can be made in person or mailed to:
University of Maryland University College
Office of Student Accounts, Room 2241
3501 University Blvd. East
Adelphi, MD 20783
(Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.)
- E-Check UMUC now accepts e-check, a fast and convenient way to pay your account balance directly from your checking account. Learn more about Paying Your Account Balance by E-Check in MyUMUC.
You can access your account by logging into MyUMUC, and selecting MyAcademics > MyFinances > Account Summary. This will give you a breakdown of your balance by term.
If your credit card was declined at the time of submission, you may want to check the account number to confirm the information was entered correctly. Otherwise, a decline means that funds were insufficient.
If you are using a VISA check card and the card was declined, you may want to call your bank to verify the limit the bank sets on these transactions.
If you do not pay your account balance by the due date, you may be disenrolled from your classes and lose eligibility for other services, such as receipt of transcripts and diplomas.
Per State of Maryland regulations, unpaid accounts are generally considered delinquent at 90 days past due. At that time, an unpaid account is eligible for transfer to the State of Maryland Central Collection Unit.
Yes! Students who register for classes in Fall 2013 and future semesters may be eligible to participate in an interest-free monthly payment plan, administered by Educational Computer Systems Inc. (ECSI).
ECSI offers a variety of payment plans and schedules that give you financial flexibility by allowing you to spread out payment for tuition and fees over several months. Instead of writing "one big check" to cover your college costs, you may make several smaller, more manageable monthly payments—and there are absolutely no interest charges, just a small non-refundable, application fee.
To enroll in the TuitionSelect payment plan:
- Login to MyUMUC
- Click on Student Center
- Select Payment Plan,
which is listed under Finances
- Select the Term you wish to enroll in by clicking on the "drop-down" menu
- You will be directed to the ECSI’s Tuition Select Payment Plan Application
For more information about ECSI’s TuitionSelect Payment Plan, please call 866-927-1438 (toll-free) to speak with a friendly, knowledgeable customer care representative.
In order to prevent your account from being transferred to SCCU you can either pay the account in full or, if eligible, enroll in one of our prior balance payment plans. To check your eligibility for our prior balance plans, you may e-mail us at email@example.com or call 1-800-888-8682.
Unfortunately, enrolling in a prior balance payment plan will not afford you the opportunity to register for additional classes, nor will it prevent you from being dropped from future course enrollment.
Please be advised that you may continue to receive notices until your balance is paid in full as all notices are automatically sent to every student with a balance. As long as your monthly payments are made on time, a hold will remain on your student account to prevent further collection.
It will take up to 5 business days for a Payment Authorization Application to be processed. Once complete, you will receive notification by e-mail.
In order to have your previous balance covered with your current financial aid, you must meet the below requirements and complete a payment authorization request. Once opening the Payment Authorization Form (using Internet Explorer only), please read the terms and conditions carefully, complete the form and click "submit." Your form will then be submitted electronically.
Financial Aid can be used to cover prior balances as long as the following requirements are met:
- Enrollment in at least 6 credits for the current term
- Submission of all required financial aid documents needed to ensure disbursement of funds
- Acceptance of financial aid in the amount equal or greater to the total balance, including your prior balance.
- That balance is not over $200 from a previous academic year. (The academic year starts in the Fall and ends in the Summer. This rule does NOT apply to balances within the same academic year.)
Once a balance has been transferred to the State Central Collections Unit (SCCU), a collections fee of 17 percent is added to the total amount transferred. SCCU also reports all transferred balances to the major credit bureaus.
You must contact SCCU to make all payment arrangements. You can contact SCCU at 410-767-1220, toll free at 1-800-705-3493 or visit the Maryland Department of Budget and Management Web site.
Once an account has been paid in full at SCCU, all requests for services (registration, transcripts, diplomas, commencement reviews, transcript reviews, etc.) will be restored. After payment in full has been made to SCCU, please have SCCU send us a "Paid in Full" receipt by fax to 301-985-7858.
Some students choose private or alternative student loans as a supplement or alternative to federal loans. Alternative or private loans are available to credit-worthy borrowers and usually have higher interest rates than federal loans. Please note that some lenders may cover additional educational expenses including previous college balances.
UMUC does not endorse any specific lender or group of lenders. Please check with your bank or lending institution to find information on participating lenders, application requirements, interest rates, loan limits and repayment options.