Employers: Host On-Campus Interviews
On-campus interviews provide companies the opportunity to interview UMUC students and alumni for full-time positions and/or internships. Interviews are conducted at the Academic Center at Largo in Largo, Maryland.
Step 1: Complete a Request through CareerQuest
To schedule on-campus interviews, complete a New Schedule Request form in your CareerQuest account. The form is located under "Schedules" on the menu bar at the top of the homepage. If you do not have a CareerQuest account, register today.
Prior to requesting an interview schedule, have the following information prepared:
- Desired dates and time slots for interviews (interviews may be scheduled between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. and are held at the Academic Center at Largo)
- Designated company contact
- Job description(s)
- Dates to start and end the job posting
- Dates to start and end the interview sign-up process for students
- Screening process, selected from the following options:
- Open Schedule: Only students who meet the employer-selected requirement will be allowed to sign up for interviews.
- Pre-select Schedule: Only students who meet the employer-selected requirements will be allowed to submit an interview request. Of these students, only those accepted by the employer will be allowed to sign up for interviews. Alternate (wait list) schedules can be made available to candidates.
Step 2: Recruit Applicants
The employer and Career Services will partner to market the job and internship opportunities to qualified students.
Announcement strategies include:
- Posting opportunities and announcements in CareerQuest
- Targeting specific student populations
- E-mailing select students
- Conducting an information session
Step 3: Accept Applications
Students interested in applying and interviewing will submit their resumes in one of three ways, depending on the employer’s preference:
- To the employer through CareerQuest
- Directly to the employer through the employer’s Web site or via e-mail
- To Career Services, which will forward applications electronically to the employer after the deadline for submissions has passed
Step 4: Invite Students to Interview
The employer or Career Services will contact the selected students prior to the interview date to schedule and confirm an on-campus interview.
- Location: Interviews are held at the Academic Center at Largo, 1616 McCormick Drive, Largo, MD 20774. Get directions.
- Parking: Employers should use visitor parking in the front of the building.
- Check-in: Employers will be required to sign in and show a valid ID at the security desk at the front entrance to the building. Employers may then proceed to the Office of Career Services, Room 1500, to check in.
Step 5: Confirm Interview Schedule
The employer or Career Services will confirm the final interview schedule, including student names, e-mail addresses, phone numbers and assigned time slots. Career Services will provide a confirmation e-mail with logistics information to the employer and selected students prior to the interviews.
- Review employer-initiated interview schedule requests in CareerQuest or via e-mail
- Send confirmation e-mail to employer to follow up on requests, including dates, times and room availability
- Contact candidates on behalf of the employer, if requested
- Monitor applications
- Coordinate with the employer to contact candidates to schedule interviews
- Reserve room(s)
- Confirm interview schedule, including dates, room numbers and candidates
- Confirm appointments with candidates on the day before the interview
- Meet and greet employers and candidates on the day of the interviews
- Supply employers and candidates with information packets
Organizations are responsible for all representations and offers made to students by their recruiters. To avoid any misunderstandings when making an employment offer, students should be notified in writing of the major components of the job offer, including salary, location, benefits and start date. Students should be given sufficient time to make an informed decision regarding offers they receive.
We ask that employers who participate in on-campus interviews inform us of all offers of employment that are extended to students to ensure that we maintain accurate statistics regarding student employment. This includes both full-time and internship offer data.
Hiring results can be easily reported in your CareerQuest account by selecting "Report a hire" on the left menu under "I Want To ... "
Employers will maintain the confidentiality of student information, regardless of the source, including personal knowledge, written records and reports or computer databases. There will be no disclosure of student information to another organization without prior written consent of the student unless necessitated by health or safety considerations.
In case of inclement weather, UMUC's operating status will be listed on the university homepage. Please remain in close contact with the recruiting team to discuss how to proceed.
In accordance with University of Maryland University College Equal Employment Opportunity policy, Career Services does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, physical or mental disability, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin or political affiliation.