Defining Your Job Goal
Before you embark on your job search or begin to write your resume, you must first identify a focused job goal. Don't let a lack of focus prevent you from finding a good fit for your goals, skills and interests. Your focused job goal should include the following:
- The type of work you ideally want to do
- The geographical location where you want to work
- The type of organization or specific organization for which you wish to work
By choosing a specific job goal:
- Your job search will be focused and productive
- You will be able to look deeper into a narrow focus area and possibly uncover many unadvertised opportunities
- Your chance of finding what you really want is greater because you are only looking at companies and positions that really interest you
TIP: To stand out, be focused!
If you are too flexible and open to anything, you will not stand out as the most qualified candidate. Targeting your job search will help you to be competitive.