Before taking a writing or math course at UMUC, you are required to take a free placement test. Please use the following links to learn more:
- Introduction to Placement Testing
- About the Placement Tests
- Best Time to Your Take Placement Tests
- Where to Take Your Placement Tests
- Test Information for Students With Disabilities
- Tips for Taking the Placement Tests
To assess your skill levels in writing and math, University of Maryland University College (UMUC) uses a diagnostic tool called Accuplacer. We have found that proper placement in the critical core courses of writing and math helps to ensure student success and allows students to advance more quickly to their degree goals. Our testing is done online in a proctored setting. There is no cost to you for taking a placement test.
Placement testing is required before you can enroll in a writing and/or math class.
You are exempt from the placement requirement for Writing only if you are transferring credit demonstrating successful completion of WRTG 101, or if you choose to begin with WRTG 101S or EDCP 103.
If you choose to begin with EDCP 103, please note that you will be required to take WRTG 101 after successful completion of EDCP 103.If you choose to begin with WRTG 101S, please note that WRTG 101S fulfills the same credit that WRTG 101 fulfills.
You are exempt from the placement requirement for Math only if you are transferring credit demonstrating successful completion of MATH 106 or 107, or if you choose to begin with MATH 009.
You are expected to take WRTG 101 or WRTG 101S and MATH 106 or 107 within your first 15 credit hours at UMUC. Your academic advisor is your best resource for answering questions regarding this requirement.
Writing Placement Test
The writing placement test covers two areas: sentence skills, measuring your understanding of sentence structure, and reading comprehension, or how well you understand what you have just read. There is no essay requirement.
Math Placement Test
The math placement test covers three areas. An arithmetic test measures your ability to perform basic arithmetic operations and to solve problems that involve fundamental arithmetic concepts. The elementary test measures your ability to perform algebraic operations and to solve problems that involve elementary algebraic concepts. The college-level test measures your ability to solve problems usually found in college-level mathematics concepts.
We recommend students take placement tests immediately upon enrollment in the university. Please remember that you cannot register for a writing or math course until you have completed placement testing.
Test Result Posting
While test results are generally downloaded to students' records on a daily basis, it is strongly recommended that placement tests be taken at least four working days before the last day of term registration. Otherwise, we cannot guarantee your results will be posted with sufficient time before the registration deadline.
Your final score is used to determine course placement. UMUC uses standard guidelines for placement as established by the state of Maryland. You cannot fail a placement test.
Students who live in Maryland, Washington, D.C., or Northern Virginia can sit for placement tests at the Largo Testing Center or regional testing centers (Shady Grove or Waldorf), or at testing sites located on local military bases. The Largo Testing Center accepts both walk-ins and reservations. Placement tests at other local testing centers are by appointment only.
Students who live outside of the local area can use a UMUC approved alternate site.
Making Reservations with Local Centers/Sites
- Largo: Reservations can be made by accessing the Placement Exam Registration page after logging into MyUMUC.
- Regional Centers and Local Military Sites:Contact the facility directly by phone for a schedule and to make reservations.
Taking Tests at Alternate Sites
if you plan to take a placement test at an alternate site, you must submit the site information to Exams and Testing for approval, at least five to seven working days in advance of the date you'd like to take the test(s). Log intoMyUMUC to access the Placement Exam Registration page, and then follow the prompts to register your alternate site information. Upon alternate site approval, you will be sent an e-mail confirmation with a "take-by" date. At the same time, your proctor will be e-mailed all necessary information, including your "take-by" date.
If your site is not approved, you will need to submit new information. The site you choose must have Internet access. Any site or proctor fees for approved alternate sites are your responsibility.
If you have a disability or temporary disabling condition that will prevent you from taking the tests under standard test conditions, please contact Disability Services by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 800-888-UMUC (8682), ext. 2287, for information on testing accommodations.
Tips for Taking Placement Tests
- Relax! Arrive early to the test site, acquaint yourself with the environment, and gather your thoughts. Even though the test is online, the system is easy to use and the test is easy to take.
- Make sure you understand all administrative directions given to you—don't be afraid to ask your proctor to repeat any instructions you may not have understood. When prompted for your Student ID number, type in your Social Security number.
- Remember to answer each question as it is presented to you on the screen. You cannot skip the question and go back later; because questions are multiple-choice, take a few minutes to logically eliminate one or more choices before picking your final response.
- Remember—there is no failing grade. Just answer each question to the best of your ability.