Frequently Asked Questions
- When are graduation checklist clearances completed?
Graduation clearances are completed year round. Typically, applicants will be reviewed within 3–4 weeks after the start of the term in which they have applied.
- How can I request a Letter of Completion?
A Letter of Completion is a document indicating that you have completed your degree requirements. They are often used for employers and promotion boards when official transcripts with degree conference are not yet available. To request a Letter of Completion, once you have completed your degree coursework, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your name, Empl ID, and the address where the letter should be sent. If your letter has to be sent to a third party, a letter with signature via fax or hard copy is required.
- What do I need to do to graduate with Honors?
As an Undergraduate candidate, in order to qualify for this status you must have at least a 3.80 grade-point average and have completed at least 45 semester hours of graded UMUC course work. Please refer to your academic catalog for further details.
- How do I invite friends or relatives from outside of the country to attend my commencement?
UMUC will draft a letter to the embassy in which the person lives. To request this letter, please e-mail email@example.com* and include the following information:
- Student name
- Student ID number or Social Security Number
- Student address
- Student phone number
- Name of guest(s) and relationship to you
- Address of guest(s)
- Name and address of embassy
- Indicate whether you wish for the letter to be sent to you or the embassy
*If a letter is to be sent to the embassy directly, a hard copy letter with signature will be required and can be faxed to the Graduation Services office at 240-684-2008.
Please note tickets per graduate are limited.
- How do I change my name so that it is reflected on my diploma?
Please fax a copy of your driver's license and a marriage certificate or birth certificate, if your name has been legally changed, to Graduation Services at 240-684-2008.
For additional information regarding commencement, please visit the Commencement Web site.