Frequently Asked Questions

How can I request a Letter of Completion?

A Letter of Completion (LOC) can serve as proof that you have satisfied your academic program, before degrees are officially conferred at the end of each term. To request a Letter of Completion, send an e-mail to Be sure to include your name, Student/Empl ID, mailing address, and the format in which you would like to receive your LOC (via e-mail, mail, or fax). If your letter needs to be sent to a third party, please include that information in your e-mail.

What do I need to do to graduate with honors?

Graduation honors are conferred on bachelor's degree recipients only. If you are a bachelor's degree candidate, you must have at least a 3.80 grade point average and have completed at least 45 credits of graded coursework at UMUC to be eligible for graduation honors. Please refer to your academic catalog for further details. 

How do I invite friends or relatives from outside of the country to attend commencement? 

UMUC will draft a letter to the embassy of the country in which the person lives to serve as documentation for getting necessary travel approvals. To request this letter, e-mail* and include the following information:

  • Your name
  • Your Student/Empl ID
  • Your address
  • Your phone number
  • Name of guest(s) and relationship to you
  • Address of guest(s)
  • Whether you wish for the letter to be sent to you or the embassy

You may also submit your Embassy Letter Request via MyUMUC. Log in to MyUMUC and select "My Academics > Request Embassy Letter."

Embassy Letter Requests will not be accepted until the month of January prior to your Commencement ceremony. The Embassy will take up to 5 business days to complete the request once you have received a confirmation e-mail that the request was received.

Please note that the number of tickets available per graduate is limited. 

When will my degree be awarded?  

Degrees are awarded on the appropriate conferral date for the term. Diplomas are mailed four to six weeks from the conferral date. A list of conferral dates can be reviewed at Graduation To-Do List. You can request a copy of your transcript or a Letter of Completion showing the date your degree was awarded after the conferral date.  

How do I change my name so that it is reflected on my diploma? 

To shorten, expand, or remove your middle name/initial (i.e. John P. Doe; John Paul Doe; John Doe) that will be reflected on your diploma/certificate, access your Student Center through MyUMUC, click on “MyInfo” then select Name. Next, select Add A New Name and choose Degree as the name type. Finally, enter your changes and click Save. If your Degree Name is shown under Name Type, skip the second step and instead click Edit by your Degree Name, make the changes, and click Save. Please verify/correct the suffix, if needed.

If you had a legal name change, you must provide proof (driver's license, divorce decree, etc.). The documentation can be faxed or emailed as a scanned copy to the attention of Graduation Certification. Please send your information via fax to 240-684-2008 or email to Our fax server is a secured line to maintain the confidentiality of student records (active duty military IDs are not acceptable as proof and should not be submitted due to federal regulations related to the copying of such information).

How do I request a duplicate or replacement copy of my diploma/certificate? 

The Replacement/Duplicate Order Form should only be used to request a copy of a UMUC diploma or certificate that was issued previously by any UMUC division (Stateside, Europe, or Asia). The cost is $50 per replacement credential, and payment information is included on the form.  

The request can be mailed, faxed, or e-mailed; contact information is on the form. Processing time for replacement credentials is four to six weeks from the receipt of the form. Fill out the Replacement/Duplicate Order Form or contact the Graduation Certification Office to request a form.

What is the difference between graduation and commencement?

Graduation is the act of completing all program requirements and having your degree awarded. Please note that all students looking to complete their program and have their certificate/degree awarded MUST apply for graduation by the stated deadline for each term.

Commencement is the ceremony recognizing graduates who have earned a bachelor's, master’s, or doctoral degree. Just as UMUC differentiates between graduation and commencement, there are two defined roles for the two units that assist with the graduation process: For questions related to applying for graduation, Letters of Completion, diplomas, degree honors, etc., please contact Graduation Certification via e-mail at For inquiries related to the commencement including guest tickets, regalia, ceremony information, etc., please contact Commencement Services via e-mail at

How long does it take for my degree to be awarded?

Within 24–48 business hours of the specified conferral date, degrees will be officially awarded in our system. There is the possibility of a delay in the review of your application if grades have not been posted or pending the receipt of additional documentation in relation to a program requirement. You will be notified via e-mail once your degree has been conferred. You may continue to check your Student Portal for updates on your graduation application status.

If you would like to check the status of your application, you may log in to your MyUMUC account and navigate to "My Academics > Admissions > View My Application Status."