Frequently Asked Questions for Undergraduate Students About Academic Policies and Procedures

What should I do if I have a question or concern about the curriculum or instruction in a class?

The Undergraduate School aims to provide dynamic and relevant courses and programs to fit the needs of adult learners. Whenever you have a question or concern about the curriculum or instruction in a class, you should first contact your professor to discuss. If the concern is not resolved through this initial conference, you may then contact the appropriate academic department for further review. Most issues can be resolved through discussion with your professor or appropriate academic department.

To contact your academic department, please see The Undergraduate School Department pages.

For guidance on filing a formal grievance, see the Student Grievance Procedures policy.

What should I do if I disagree with a grade?

Grades are assigned to accurately reflect the work you have completed in your classes. You will find the grading standards explained in your course syllabus. If you have a concern about a grade you have received, first contact your professor in a timely manner. If the matter is not resolved through this initial conference, you may then contact the appropriate academic department for further review.

For guidance on filing an arbitrary and capricious grade appeal, see Procedures for Review of Alleged Arbitrary & Capricious Grading.

What is a grade of Incomplete ("I") and can I request it?

A grade of Incomplete ("I") may be assigned to students who are doing satisfactory work, but have been unable to complete a course's requirements because of illness or other circumstances beyond their control. Receiving an Incomplete grade allows these students to complete the requirements by a later date and earn a grade in the course.

You may be able to request a grade of Incomplete ("I") if you are unable to complete a course due to extenuating circumstances. To be eligible for consideration for an Incomplete grade, you must currently have a grade of "C" or better in the course and must have completed at least 60 percent of the course work. Students are responsible for contacting their professor to request a grade of Incomplete, prior to the end of the session. The faculty member retains the right to make the final decision on granting a request for an Incomplete even though the student may meet the eligibility requirements for this grade.

If your professor approves the request, he or she will set a late deadline for completing the remainder of the course work, giving you a chance to earn a grade upon completion.

For more information about the grade of Incomplete ("I"), see the Policy on Grade of Incomplete policy or contact the appropriate academic department.

What is a grade of Withdrawal ("W") and how do I withdraw from a class?

Withdrawing from a class may be an appropriate decision for students who have never attended or have stopped participating in their class(es), or who are unable to complete the session, because it prevents them from receiving a failing grade that would negatively affect their cumulative grade point average (GPA). Prior to withdrawing from a course, students are encouraged to discuss the matter with their professor. If you are a financial aid recipient, be sure to contact your financial aid advisor before withdrawing to determine if or how this will affect your aid package.

Students are responsible for determining if withdrawing from a class is in their best interest. A grade of Withdrawal ("W") appears on a student's transcript, but is not included in his or her GPA. See the Policy on Course Withdrawal to learn more about the "W" grade.

Please see our official withdrawal procedures to find out about specific withdrawal deadlines and how to withdraw.

How is eligibility for the Dean's List determined?

Students who complete at least 6 credits (in courses graded A, B, C, D or F) with a GPA of at least 3.5 in a term and maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 are eligible for the Dean's List.

Students who fail to earn the required average by the end of the term must complete a minimum of 6 more credits during the next term to be considered for the Dean's List again. All courses taken during a term are used in computing the average, even though the total number of credits may exceed 6. A term is designated as fall, summer or spring. Eligibility for the Dean's List is calculated once each term.

What is UMUC's approach to academic dishonesty and plagiarism?

Upholding academic integrity is a serious matter at UMUC. As an undergraduate student, you are expected to maintain the highest level of integrity throughout your academic career. Incidents of academic dishonesty and plagiarism will be handled in accordance with UMUC Policy 150.25-Academic Dishonesty and Plagiarism.

Academic integrity resources are available through:

Where/How can I obtain more information?

To review UMUC academic policies, see the Academic Policies Web site or the Student Handbook. You may also review the current Undergraduate School schedule of classes and catalog to find out about course offerings and your program's specific requirements.