UMUC at a Glance
UMUC is a USM institution with a significant national profile
- In fiscal year(FY) 2011,* UMUC's worldwide enrollment ranked first among 4-year degree granting public universities in the U.S.
- The number of stateside students has more than doubled in the last 10 years, increasing to over 42,713 stateside in fall 2011.
- The Board of Regents projections estimate that UMUC's enrollments will grow by 34% in 2021.
UMUC is a world leader in online education
- In FY 2012, UMUC had over 262,000 online course enrollments.
- Currently, UMUC offers nearly 100 bachelor's and master's degree programs and certificates, fully online. In FY 2012, UMUC offered 941 distinct courses online.
- UMUC was a winner of the highest honor in Web education, the "Sloan Consortium Award for Excellence in Institution-Wide Asynchronous Learning Network Programming."
UMUC is a Maryland institution addressing Maryland's needs
- In FY 2012, UMUC served nearly 36,000 Marylanders.
- As of FY 2012, UMUC offered on-site, face-to-face instruction at 21 sites throughout Maryland.
- Maryland residents represented 63% of UMUC's fall 2011 stateside course enrollments.
- As of FY 2012, UMUC has alliances with all 16 Maryland Community Colleges, which includes 351 articulated programs.
- In fall 2012, UMUC has enrolled more than 4,200 students in the undergraduate and graduate cybersecurity programs.
UMUC is a global institution
- UMUC's overseas divisions offered on-site classes in more than 25 countries and territories throughout the world, enrolling 37,143 individual students in undergraduate and graduate programs in Asia and Europe in FY 2012.
- UMUC received three IMS Global Learning Consortium awards: Learning Impact Award; Best in Category, Faculty Development Network for the UMUC faculty e-zine; and Best in Category, Online Laboratory for UMUC's online hands-on labs in information assurance. (2010)
UMUC provides access to higher education for minority students
- In fall 2011, 36% of UMUC's stateside students were African-Americans—minority students comprised 48% of the total enrollment. UMUC enrolls more African American students than any of the four individual Maryland historically black colleges and universities.
- In FY 2012, 34% of students who took at least one online class were African-American.
- In FY 2012, 38% of master's degrees were awarded to African-American students; 32% of all degrees and certificates were awarded to African-American students.
UMUC provides higher education opportunities to working adults
- As of spring 2012, 70% of undergraduate students enrolled in UMUC's stateside programs were working full time.
- 49% of UMUC stateside students are working parents.
- In fall 2011, the median age for students enrolled in UMUC's stateside undergraduate programs was 31 years old.
UMUC is the senior academic institution delivering higher education to our military
- Today, UMUC enrolls around 58,000 active-duty military, reserves, dependants and veterans.
- Currently, UMUC offers courses at more than 150 worldwide locations on four continents.
- Military Times Edge ranked UMUC one of the "Best for Vets Colleges." (2010)
- Military Advanced Education (MAE) named UMUC one of the top Military-Friendly Colleges & Universities for four consecutive years. (Awarded 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010.)
- The Chronicle of Higher Education ranked UMUC as the fourth largest provider of higher education to service members and veterans who use their federal education benefits. (2010)
*Most recent data available from Department of Education