Master of Science in Accounting and Financial Management
Want to be in demand? The workforce is in need of professionals and managers who possess specialized skills, knowledge, and abilities in both the accounting and financial management disciplines. Get the skills you need to assume positions of increasing responsibility within the financial operations of any organization.
The curriculum requires 36 credits and consists of five accounting courses, six financial management courses, and one program capstone.
Note: Successful completion of the program may satisfy the educational requirement for candidacy for the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exam. Educational requirements to sit for the CPA exam or to practice as a CPA vary among states. Students are responsible for staying abreast of the current requirements of the state in which they will sit for the exam or practice professionally.
- Students must have completed 15 credits of undergraduate accounting courses with a grade of C or better in each course before enrolling in any graduate accounting course.
- Students without recent coursework in accounting or economics are strongly advised to complete UCSP 620 and UCSP 621 before enrolling in MGMT 640.
- ACCT 610 must be taken prior to any other accounting courses.
- Students must complete MGMT 640 before enrolling in FIN 610, and FIN 610 must be completed before any other financial management course.
- FIN 610, FIN 620, and FIN 630 are prerequisite to FIN 660.
- Students must complete all courses except FIN 645 before enrolling in MSAF 670.
- FIN 630 is prerequisite to FIN 645.
- Students who wish to improve their graduate writing skills may take COMM 600, Academic Writing for Graduate Students (3).
Required Accounting Courses
UCSP 615* Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- ACCT 610 Financial Accounting (3)
- ACCT 612 Auditing (3)
- ACCT 613 Federal Income Taxation (3)
Choose 2 of the following 4 courses
Required Financial Management Courses
- MGMT 640 Financial Decision Making for Managers (3)
- FIN 610 Financial Management in Organizations(3)
- FIN 620 Long-Term Financial Management (3)
- FIN 630 Investment Valuation (3)
- FIN 645 Behavioral Finance (3)
- FIN 660 Strategic Financial Management (3)
MSAF 670 Accounting and Financial Management Capstone (3)
Note: Some course titles and numbers were revised beginning with the fall 2007 semester. If you began your program prior to fall 2007 and have chosen to follow the pre-fall 2007 curriculum, please refer to the pre-fall 2007 Study Plan to determine your degree requirements.
* The UCSP 615 requirement may be waived if you previously earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. For more information, contact your academic advisor.
Affordable State Tuition Rates
Courses of Interest
No courses have been added yet. To add a course, click on a course title, then click "add to courses of interest" below the course description.