Prepare for the future by developing the next generation of advanced cyber threat prevention skills in this nationally recognized program.
In the online Master of Science in cybersecurity technology program at University of Maryland University College, you'll learn how cyber security technology underpins the success of organizations and national critical infrastructures. Modern executives need to be able to use that technology, as well as people and policy, to minimize risks while ensuring success for their organizations. They need to balance risks and opportunities holistically through an interdisciplinary lens. This innovative graduate program offers that wide perspective, providing a blend of people, policy, and technology skills to help prepare the modern digital strategists that organizations need.
These program requirements are for students who enroll in the 2018–2019 academic year. For prior year academic requirements, visit the catalog archive in the Current Students section.
About the Cybersecurity Technology Master's Degree
Coursework in the cybersecurity technology master's degree program features emerging topics and projects that develop the skills and knowledge employers are seeking. It also provides the opportunity to interact with employers through conferences and recruitment and networking events. In your courses, you will also have access to a state-of-the-art technology lab to strengthen your practical understanding of the concepts discussed. Faculty with experience in the field serve as coaches throughout your courses. Additionally, a board of industry leaders and employers advises our faculty to make sure our cyber security programs are covering emerging areas that are relevant to your career growth.
What You'll Learn
Through your coursework, you will learn how to
- Tailor digital strategies to the mission of an organization
- Understand how to balance the use of people, policy, and technology
- Understand how to analyze, think critically, and improve perpetually
- Be a cybersecurity technology leader in the modern world
- Develop a cybersecurity technology strategy for an organization
- Build cybersecurity technology environments and operations
- Develop resilient and highly fault-tolerant technology environments
- Enable organizations to make better business decisions through reliable data analytics and intelligence
- Perform proactive business risk management and solve problems
- Develop strategies for mobile, cloud, and emerging environments such as the Internet of Things
In past projects, students have had the opportunity to
- Use protocol analyzers, intrusion detection systems, intrusion prevention systems, network mapping tools, network scanning tools, encryption/decryption tools, digital forensics tools, and password exploitation tools
- Perform ethical hacking, penetration testing, and vulnerability assessments
This program can help prepare you for the following certification exams:
Cybersecurity Technology Master's Degree Requirements
Our curriculum is designed with input from employers, industry experts, and scholars. You'll learn theories combined with real-world applications and practical skills you can apply on the job right away.
- CBR 600
- CST 610
- CST 620
- CST 630
- CST 640
- CYB 670
All courses must be taken in the order listed.
You must complete each course with a grade of B or better to advance to the next course. The grade of C is not available for these courses.
The courses in this program will have seven-day and 60-day options for the grade of Incomplete.
- You must maintain a GPA of 3.0 or higher at all times.
- All degree requirements must be fulfilled within five consecutive years.
- Any transfer credits must have been earned within the five-year time frame to be applied toward a graduate degree.
This program is designed to help prepare cyber security technology leaders who can develop mission-focused digital strategy for organizations. Potential career fields include cyber security and technology architecture, information security, cyber security analysis and engineering, board advising, and cyber security consulting.
Experience Recommended for Success in the Program
If you do not have work experience in information technology, computer networks, or databases, we strongly recommend you take ASC 605. If you have not taken programming courses previously, we strongly encourage you to take ASC 609. We recommend ASC 601 if you'd like to improve your graduate writing skills.
Facts & Figures
UMUC has been a leader in cybersecurity education for a while. We were one of the first institutions to offer full degree programs and certificates in cybersecurity starting back in 2010 when there were very few others out there.
Emma Garrison-Alexander, PhD
Vice Dean, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
UMUC has a good reputation and a wide variety of quality programs for people who work full-time. For me, learning online is the best option for maintaining a balanced work and social life while going to school.
Cybersecurity Technology Master's Degree
Find out how UMUC made the difference for Cate Reich and her family.
Student Clubs and Organizations
Type: Academic club
Available To: Undergraduate and Graduate
The Computing Club allows its student members to share experiences and offer each other guidance on academic major and career options. Club events provide opportunities for professional socialization and networking, and members are privy to club resources that will help them further their education and careers.
Type: Academic club
Available To: Undergraduate and Graduate
The Cyber Padawans represent UMUC at various cybersecurity events and highly competitive tournaments nationwide. Being a member of the team allows students to develop their cybersecurity skills and to network with other students with similar interests.
About the Faculty
Our world-class faculty members combine academic credentials with a wealth of experience in the field.
Faculty members in this program hold or have recently held positions including
- Assistant attorney general
- Assistant deputy undersecretary
- Chief information officer
- Chief information security officer
- Chief technology officer
- Cryptologic manager
- Deputy chief, cyber security operations
- Director, server operations group
- IT director
- Team lead, cyber threat analysis
- Technical director, security engineering and testing
Our faculty work or have worked at organizations including
- Defense Information Systems Agency
- General Dynamics
- The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
- Lucent Technologies
- National Biomedical Research Foundation
- National Security Agency
- Transportation Security Agency
- Science Applications International Corporation
- State of Maryland
- State University of New York
- U.S. Department of Defense
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
The cybersecurity curriculum makes extensive use of online multimedia learning objects and interactive exercises. A minimum Internet connection speed of 512 KB per second is recommended with an up-to-date browser.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Program
Will I be able to successfully complete a UMUC cyber security graduate degree program without prior computer science or cyber security experience? +
Yes. The graduate cyber security program covers many technical topics but assumes no previous experience in cyber security or computer science. You may also want to consider the Master of Science in Cybersecurity Policy, which is less technical in nature and does not require prior technical expertise.
This program is open to anyone and while you do not need a specific background in IT, it is certainly very helpful. If you do not have a background in IT, it is strongly recommended that you take our non-credit preparation courses in information technology and coding. These will give you a foundation that will help you succeed in the program.
This program is for those who want do the technological implementation of measures and processes to protect networks and computer assets within an organization. It is intended to develop those who do the actual hands-on work and those who manage them.
This program will help you develop your skills and competencies in implementation of technology measures to protect an organization’s network and computer assets from intrusions. The program focuses on techniques and technologies of cyber defense. The program will require that you become adept with computer and network technologies at a high level.