Master of Science in Management: Health Care Administration
Health Care Administration Specialization
The Health Care Administration specialization provides an introduction to the health care industry and is designed for students who do not have educational or professional work experience in the field. While the MSM is designed for students who do not have educational or work experience in the health care field, some previous health care experience is suggested.
The MSM program prepares graduates for a number of entry level positions, as determined by a student's work experience.
Depending on a student's background and an employer's criteria, graduates of the Health Care Administration specialization may qualify for these positions:
- Entry level manager in health services organizations
- Entry level manager in other health care business enterprises
Students who wish to improve their graduate writing skills may take UCSP 605, Effective Graduate Writing (0).
Core Required Courses
UCSP 615* Orientation to Graduate Studies at UMUC (0), to be taken within the first 6 credits of study
- MGMT 630 Organizational Theory and Behavior (6)
- MGMT 640 Financial Decision Making for Managers (3)
- HIMS 650 Research Methods for Health Care Managers (3)
Note: HIMS 650 is the required research methods/statistics course for the health care administration specialization.
MGMT 670 Strategic Management Capstone (3)
Clustered Course Option
- MGMT 630 (or MGMT 610) must be taken within the first 6 credits of the MS in Management program.
- Students must complete 24 credits, including other core requirements, before enrolling in MGMT 670.
- MGMT 640 and HIMS 650 should not be completed simultaneously.
- MGMT 640 is prerequisite to FIN 610 in the Financial Management specialization.
Health Care Administration (HCAD) Specialization Required Courses
- HCAD 610 Information Technology for Health Care Administration (3)
- HCAD 620 The U.S. Health Care System (3)
- HCAD 630 Public Health Administration (3)
- HCAD 640 Financial Management for Health Care Organizations (3)
- HCAD 650 Legal Aspects of Health Care Administration (3)
- HCAD 660 Health Care Institutional Organization and Management (3)
- TMAN 632 Organizational Performance Management (3)
Note: HCAD courses are only available to students enrolled in a health care administration specialization, degree, or certificate program or the health informatics administration degree.
* The UCSP 615 requirement may be waived if you previously earned a graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. For more information, contact your academic advisor.