Individualized Learning Courses
Originator: Provost and Chief Academic Officer
Subject: Individualized Learning Courses (ILC)
- A limited number of UMUC offerings are available in the individualized learning course (ILC) format. ILCs are structured courses of study in which a student is expected to independently complete and submit course assignments on a mandated schedule.
- IL course materials include a structured syllabus and course study modules on a CD-ROM, textbooks, and/or other resources. ILCs require that the student have access to a computer with CD-ROM capabilities.
- All ILCs are 15 weeks long, have definite start/end dates, and require a proctored final examination.
- ILC students are assigned a "course manager" who responds to questions, sends reminders of deadlines, grades assignments, and provides and grades the final course examination.
- Only students eligible to take classes under UMUC's Tri-Services Contract in Europe can enroll in ILC format courses. UMUC students who are under the Tri-Services Contract in Europe can take the same courses in face-to-face and online formats.
- ILC courses are only for students in exceptional circumstances who are unable to attend face-to-face classes or for whom other course options are not available.
- Students must satisfy any course prerequisites prior to applying for an ILC.
- Students may apply no more than 3 s.h. of credit earned through courses in the ILC format toward a UMUC certificate, 6 s.h. toward an associate degree, and 12 s.h. toward a bachelor's degree. Credit earned through courses in the ILC format may not be applied toward a UMUC graduate or post-graduate program.
- Enrollment Procedures
- Students are advised to speak with a counselor about ILCs prior to registration.
- Eligible students may enroll for an ILC at their local education center.
- Student requests for an ILC will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and approved if determined appropriate.
- Once a request is approved, course materials will be sent to the education center by the UMUC-Europe Distance Education Office.
- The start date for the course will be based upon the date that the student renders payment for tuition and the course materials.
|Current Policy||Prior Policy|