Google Services Guidelines for Students
Originator: Office of Information Technology
Subject: Google Services Guidelines for Students
- This document addresses UMUC’s guidelines for student use of Google Apps for Education (GAE) as well as other Google services that are not covered under the UMUC GAE agreement (Google Services).
- UMUC provides its students access to GAE and other Google services to support the educational and administrative activities of the university, and to serve as a means of official communication by and between users and UMUC.
- This document was developed to ensure that these services are used for purposes appropriate to the university's educational mission.
- When possible, a user’s privacy will be respected in the handling and management of student accounts. That privacy is subject to applicable federal and state law and the needs of the University to meet its administrative, business, and legal obligations.
- Google Apps for Education
- The GAE services include the following:
- Google Calendar
- Google Groups
- Google Talk
- Google Docs
- Google Drive
- Google Sites
- Google Video
- Google Contacts
- The GAE services are subject to change.
- Other Google Services
- Students accessing other Google services should be aware that this functionality is not covered under the GAE agreement.
- These services are subject to change as Google modifies its offerings under the GAE agreement.
- Anyone in the university community utilizing other Google services must be aware that user and content data may be collected and consolidated to be used by Google as permitted under their current policies Google may collect the following data types:
- Personal information (name, e-mail address, telephone number and credit card numbers)
- Device information (hardware model, operating system, device identifiers, and mobile network information)
- Collect and store details of searches or queries made
- Telephone log information (calling party, forwarding numbers, duration of calls and types of calls)
- Cookies that uniquely identify your browser
- Collect and store information about your actual location
- Students with privacy concerns related to Google’s terms may wish to disable the data collection features listed in Section III(c)(1)-(6). If assistance is needed, please contact the IT Help Desk.
- Additionally, over time, the university may enable or disable UMUC account access to specific non-GAE Services as it deems appropriate.
In order to use any Google service as provided by UMUC, all participants must be aware of, agree to, and adhere to the following:
- When utilizing any Google service with your UMUC account, you are bound by the UMUC Acceptable Use Policy.
- The university respects the expectation of privacy that students have regarding their use of services such as e-mail. As stated in the UMUC Acceptable Use Policy, use of university resources acknowledges that UMUC has the ability to retrieve, examine, and disclose their data to appropriate authorities.
- Students should adhere to the Policy on Computer Use—UMUC Acceptable Use Policy 270.00, the University of Maryland University College E-mail Guidelines Policy 270.10, and the UMUC Guidelines for Participation in Social Media in the use of their UMUC e-mail account and related services.
Data Protection and Students E-mail Accounts
Students who are working for the university in a capacity such as a student worker or work-study employee should conduct official university business with a staff e-mail account separate from their student e-mail account. Their use of the account will be governed by the Policy on Computer Use, the University’s E-mail Guidelines, and the Google Services Guidelines for Faculty and Staff.
|Current Policy||Prior Policy|