University of Maryland University College is offering up to five scholarships—which include full tuition, fees, and course-required resources—for caregivers of recovering servicemembers and veterans through the Pillars of Strength Scholarship Program. This scholarship aims to honor the unparalleled selflessness and extraordinary commitment of these caregivers.
The application deadline for the 2019–2020 academic year is April 15, 2019, at 11:59 p.m.
The program is managed by UMUC and The Blewitt Foundation in association with the National Military Family Association.
To be considered for this scholarship program, you must be a spouse, parent, stepparent, sibling, stepsibling, fiancé, child, stepchild, or friend of a servicemember or veteran who became wounded, injured, or ill in the line-of-duty after September 11, 2001. In addition, you must serve as a caregiver, either as a VA-designated caregiver or a DoD-designated non-medical attendant (NMA), to that servicemember or veteran.
A scholarship review committee—comprised of members of UMUC, The Blewitt Foundation, and the National Military Family Association—will verify each applicant’s caregiver status based on the supporting materials required as part of the application process.
In addition, you must
- Have received a high school diploma or GED
- Be currently enrolled or plan to enroll, if selected, in a degree or certificate program at UMUC with a minimum of 6 credits per term for undergraduate students or 3 credits per term for graduate students during the fall and spring terms; winter and summer term registration is optional, although the scholarship covers courses taken in those terms
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid before the scholarship application deadline; UMUC's school code is 011644
- Demonstrate financial need as determined by the UMUC Office of Financial Aid based on information supplied on the completed FAFSA; applicants with Title IV student loans in default will not be considered for the Pillars of Strength Scholarship Program
- Agree to participate in activities to help promote the Pillars of Strength Scholarship Program; activities may include a photo shoot, attendance at an event, and the creation of a video documenting scholarship recipients