How do I know what date my tuition is due? +

Go to the Student Account Center. From there, select Account Activity. The due date is listed for each charge.

When can I expect my tuition assistance to be applied? +

Tuition assistance is applied to your account within two business days of receipt. If your account does not reflect your tuition assistance payment after two business days, please contact our office at 800-888-UMUC.

How can I confirm that UMUC received my tuition assistance? +

At this time, there is not an online confirmation process for tuition assistance forms. If your account does not reflect your tuition assistance payment after three business days, please contact our office at 800-888-UMUC.

When will I receive my refund for overpayment of tuition and fees? +

Refunds for payments in excess of your charges are generated the business day after the funds are made available as shown below, depending on the source of the payment.

  • Personal check payments are processed 21 days after the credit becomes available. After the refund has posted, you can expect a direct deposit refund in three to five business days or a check refund in seven to 11 business days.
  • Electronic check payments are processed 10 days after the credit becomes available. After the refund has posted, you can expect a direct deposit refund in three to five business days or a check refund in seven to 11 business days.
  • Credit card refunds are generated weekly and will be credited to the card originally used.
  • Financial aid disbursements are made no sooner than 10 days prior to the start of your active half-time enrollment for the semester. After the credit becomes available, financial aid refunds are issued on Tuesdays and Thursdays. After the refund has posted, you can expect a direct deposit refund in three to five business days or a check refund in seven to 11 business days.
  • Cash or money order refunds are processed the following business day. After the refund has posted, you can expect a direct deposit refund in three to five business days or a check refund in seven to 11 business days.

Can you deposit my tuition refund directly into my bank account? +

Yes. You can sign up to have your refunds deposited directly into your checking or savings account.

To be eligible, all you need is an active U.S. bank account, your routing number, and your account number. Sign up now through Direct Deposit in MyUMUC.

If you have a bank account on file, simply click Enroll in the Direct Deposit column. If not, click Add Bank Account.

Can I request an extension on my tuition due date? +

Unfortunately, no. However, if you are experiencing difficulty with the application of your payment option, please contact us at

Why hasn't my personal check been applied to my account? +

Payments are applied within one business day of receipt. If your personal check is not applied to your account within seven to 10 business days after you mailed it to UMUC, e-mail us at or call us at 800-888-UMUC.

What time frame does the 1098-T tax form cover? +

The 1098-T form summarizes the amount you paid within a particular calendar year towards eligible tuition and fees, starting from January 1 through December 31.

Can you send my 1098-T tax form to me electronically? +

You can access, view, and/or print the form by visiting the Student Account Center.

How can I obtain a copy of my statement of account? +

You can print a statement of account activity through the Student Account Center. Under My Account, select Account Activity; then, select the term you would like to view and press Ctrl+P to print.

Where can I find the tuition rates for this term? +

Tuition rates can be found by visiting Tuition page.

How do I make a payment toward my UMUC student account balance? +

For your convenience, UMUC accepts a variety of payment methods, including payment by credit card, check, money order, and e-check.

Credit Card (AMEX, Discover, Visa, or MasterCard)

To pay any UMUC account balances online, log in to the Student Account Center.

Check or Money Order

Check and money order payments can be made in person or mailed to

University of Maryland University College
Office of Student Accounts
Adelphi, MD 20783


UMUC now accepts e-checks, a fast and convenient way to pay your account balance directly from your checking account.

How can I see how much I owe UMUC? +

Go to the Finances page in MyUMUC and select View Account/Make a Payment. From there, select Account Activity. Current Account Status shows your student account balance. Further details are available if you click on View Account Activity.

Why was my credit card declined when I tried to pay my bill? +

If your credit card was declined at the time of submission, you may want to check the account number to confirm the information was entered correctly. Otherwise, a decline means that funds were insufficient.

If you are using a Visa check card and the card was declined, you may want to call your bank to verify the limit the bank sets on these transactions.

What happens if I don't pay my bill? +

If you do not pay your account balance by the due date, you may be disenrolled from your classes and lose eligibility for other services, such as receipt of transcripts and diplomas.

Per State of Maryland regulations, unpaid accounts are generally considered delinquent at 90 days past due. At that time, an unpaid account is eligible for transfer to the State of Maryland Central Collection Unit.

Can I use a payment plan to assist in settling my student account balance? +

Yes. UMUC's interest-free monthly payment plan gives you financial flexibility by allowing you to spread out payment for tuition and fees over several months. Instead of writing one big check to cover your college costs, you may make several smaller, more manageable monthly payments—and there are absolutely no interest charges, just a small nonrefundable application fee.

To enroll in the interest-free monthly payment plan, go to your Student Account Center in MyUMUC. Select the term in which you want to use a payment plan.

For more information about the monthly payment plan, please call 800-888-UMUC to speak with one of our friendly and knowledgeable customer service representatives.

How can I prevent my account from being transferred to the State of Maryland Central Collections Unit? +

To prevent your account from being transferred to the State of Maryland Central Collections Unit, you can either pay the account in full or, if eligible, enroll in one of our prior balance payment plans. To check your eligibility for our prior balance plans, you may e-mail us at or call us at 800-888-UMUC (8682).

Can I register for additional classes when I sign up for a prior balance plan? +

Unfortunately, enrolling in a prior balance payment plan will not afford you the opportunity to register for additional classes nor will it prevent you from being dropped from future course enrollment.

Why am I receiving notices to pay when I have an active payment plan? +

Please be advised that you may continue to receive notices until your balance is paid in full because all notices are sent to every student with a balance. As long as your monthly payments are made on time, a hold will remain on your student account to prevent further collection.

Can I use my financial aid to cover my prior balance? +

To have your previous balance covered with your current financial aid, you must e-mail to determine eligibility. If you meet the requirements of the prior balance program, you will be sent a payment authorization application. It will take up to five business days for the application to be processed.

Financial aid can be used to cover prior balances as long as the following requirements are met:

  • Enrollment in at least 6 credits for the current term
  • Submission of all required financial aid documents needed to ensure disbursement of funds
  • Acceptance of financial aid in the amount equal or greater to the total balance, including your prior balance
  • That balance is not more than $200 from a previous academic year (the academic year starts in the summer and ends in the spring; this rule does not apply to balances within the same academic year)

What happens if my UMUC account goes to collections for nonpayment? +

Once a balance has been transferred to the State Central Collections Unit, a collections fee of 17 percent is added to the total amount transferred. SCCU also reports all transferred balances to the major credit bureaus.

Can I pay my State Central Collections Unit account at UMUC? +

You must contact the State Central Collections Unit to make all payment arrangements. You can contact SCCU at 410-767-1220 or toll-free at 800-705-3493. You can also visit the Maryland Department of Budget and Management website.

Can I continue my education at UMUC after I pay my State Central Collections Unit account in full? +

Once an account has been paid in full at the State Central Collections Unit (SCCU), all requests for services (registration, transcripts, diplomas, commencement reviews, transcript reviews, etc.) will be restored. After payment in full has been made to SCCU, please have SCCU send us a "Paid in Full" receipt by fax to 301-985-7858.

I cannot afford the UMUC payment plan options offered. What else can I do? +

Some students choose private or alternative student loans as a supplement or alternative to federal loans. Alternative or private loans are available to creditworthy borrowers and usually have higher interest rates than federal loans. Please note that some lenders may cover additional education expenses, including previous college balances.

Does UMUC work with a lender that offers alternative loans to UMUC students? +

UMUC does not endorse any specific lender or group of lenders. Please check with your bank or lending institution to find information on participating lenders, application requirements, interest rates, loan limits, and repayment options.

Why do I need to give my consent under Payment Responsibility when I log into the Touchnet student portal? +

Can I view my account or make a payment from my smartphone or iPad? +

Yes. The Student Account Center is mobile-friendly. You can view your account balance and make a payment from any electronic device, such as a computer, smartphone, or tablet.

Can I add a secondary e-mail address for billing and payment notifications? +

Yes. Your preferred e-mail address in PeopleSoft will update in your personal profile. However, if you enter an alternative or secondary address, communications generated by the Student Center will be delivered to both e-mail addresses. You will receive notifications whenever a new billing statement is available, if a payment is made, or if a change is requested. To add a secondary address, please follow the steps below.

  1. Go to the Student Account Center.
  2. In the Personal Profile section (under My Account/Personal Profile), add an alternate e-mail address.
  3. Click Save Changes.

What is an authorized user and how do I set up an authorized user for my UMUC financial account? +

An authorized user is a spouse, parent, friend, or family member who you choose to give permission to access your account information.

You may give an authorized user access to view

  • Billing statements and account activity
  • Payment history and account activity

In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, UMUC cannot share your financial information with a third party without your consent. Therefore, when you add an authorized user, you are giving your written consent that the individual may view your account information and make payments on your behalf.

Authorized users cannot see your stored payment methods, academic records, or other personal information.

To add an authorized user, please follow the steps below.

  1. Go to the Student Account Center.
  2. Click on Authorized Users (under My Account).
  3. Enter the name and e-mail address of the authorized user.
  4. Answer yes or no to the following questions:
    • Would you like to allow this person to view your billing statement and account activity?
    • Would you like to allow this person to view your payment history and account activity.
    • (Please note: If you select no to both questions, the authorized user will only be able to make payments.)
  5. Click on Update User.
  6. Click on Print Agreement.