If you have not received your refund check for financial aid or your student account balance at University of Maryland University College and believe that it may be lost due to a change of address or other reason, you can follow the steps below to request a stop payment on the original check so that a new one can be reissued to you.
Changes of Address
Financial aid and regular refund checks are issued to your address of record. You are responsible for keeping your personal contact information up to date on the student portal at MyUMUC. If you had an address change or failed to update your address prior to the release of the refund check by the State of Maryland Treasurer's Office, the check may become undeliverable, lost, or outstanding. If your student account or financial aid refund check is deemed undeliverable by the post office, we will contact you by e-mail asking for your new address. Funds from unclaimed student refund checks are forwarded to the State of Maryland.
Financial Aid Refund Checks
Federal regulations require you to cash a federally funded refund check (Title IV Funds) within a timely manner. Please note, all refund checks expire 180 days (six months) from the issue date of the check. Unfortunately, we are not able to reissue Title IV funds if your check expires. If a refund check is never cashed, UMUC must return the funds to the Department of Education within 240 days of the original refund issue date. UMUC will cancel the check and the funds will be returned to the loan or grant program that created the credit balance.
Important Things to Know About Requesting a Stop Payment/Reissue
- If you are requesting a stop payment on a check released from UMUC, you must certify that you have waited a minimum of 30 days before sending your request.
- Once we receive your stop payment form, a stop payment will be placed on the original check. Therefore, if you receive the check in the mail, you may not cash it. If you cash or deposit the check, you will be liable for all costs incurred by your financial institution, not UMUC.
- The reissue of a refund check can take up to 60 calendar days from the time it was requested.
- Replacement checks or copies will come from the State of Maryland's Treasurer's Office, not UMUC.
- If the check was paid, a copy of the canceled check will be provided if requested.
Submit a Stop Payment/Check Trace Request Form
- Download the Stop Payment/Check Trace Request Form
Tip: Use the "Print Form" button in the upper right-hand corner of the form to ensure proper printing.
The Stop Payment/Check Trace Request form may be completed and faxed to 301-985-7858, emailed to student accounts or mailed to:
University of Maryland University College
3501 University Blvd. East
Office of Student Accounts
Adelphi, MD 20783
Make sure to date and sign the form.