All University of Maryland University College properties are under the jurisdiction of the University of Maryland Department of Public Safety. UMDPS police officers have all the powers of any peace or police officer in the State of Maryland. Each officer is empowered by state law to make arrests, investigate crimes, and carry firearms. Furthermore, the UMDPS has jurisdiction on all properties owned, operated, leased by, or under the control of the University of Maryland System, including all UMUC properties (Academic Center at Largo, Dorsey Station, Quantico, UMUC Headquarters, and Waldorf Center).
However, they do not actively patrol and respond to all properties.
Law Enforcement Agencies by Location
Prince George's County Emergency Services is the primary agency called by UMUC for police and emergency response needs.
Howard County Emergency Services is the primary agency called by UMUC for police and emergency response needs.
The Stafford County Sheriff's Office is the primary agency called by UMUC for police and emergency response needs.
The Charles County Sheriff's Office is the primary agency called by UMUC for police and emergency response needs.
Public Safety and Emergency Contact Information for UMUC Worldwide Locations
- When an incident occurs that requires a police or emergency services response, security or a UMUC staff member must contact 911 and the responding agency for the specific location.
- If possible, the authorities should be met upon arrival and escorted to the scene of the incident.
- Upon arrival, the authorities become in charge of the situation. A security officer or department manager/supervisor must remain with the authorities at all times unless requested by the authorities to move to another location.
- After the authorities have conducted all of their duties in response to the situation, their name(s), badge number(s), and the police report number will be requested and documented.
- All emergency services personnel must be given assistance as requested.
- Locations without a security presence must report all incidents and police response to UMUC Security and the Director of Security as soon as the authorities have been notified.
Emergency Contacts Worldwide
Find emergency contact information for all of UMUC's locations worldwide.