Follow the instructions below to reset your Nova password. (Please note: If you wish to change your password for MyUMUC, LEO and most University services, please view Password: How do I reset or create my password?)
If your Nova password has expired, you will be prompted to change it as soon as you log in. Simply create a terminal connection and log in with your old password. If you have forgotten your password, you can use the chgpass procedure on the University of Maryland University College UNIX systems (Nova, SQL [special SQL/Oracle password info], and some dbcourse servers) to change forgotten account passwords.
You MUST be sure that you know your MyUMUC username and password BEFORE you attempt to use this procedure.
If you receive an Access Denied alert while changing your password, please wait 15-30 minutes and try again.
- Open a terminal window to the server that holds your Nova account. If you are using SSH from the command line on a non-Windows computer, enter chgpass in place of the username: (ssh email@example.com), and then skip Step 2.
- At the login prompt, type chgpass.You should not be prompted for a password at this point. If the server responds with: Password: then your protocol version is probably not correct.
- At the Please enter your MyUMUC portal username prompt, type your MyUMUC username.
- At the Please enter your MyUMUC portal password prompt, enter your MyUMUC password. Passwords are case sensitive. The cursor will not move as you type.
- The system will verify your username and password information and display your account name and a new randomly generated password. If you have more than one account on the system, you will be prompted to select the class account you wish to change the password for. Very Important: Make a note of your temporary password as it will not be emailed to you.
- Press the [ENTER] key to exit the chgpass procedure. Repeat step one and SSH to the server again.
- Log in with your username and new temporary password that was given to you in Step 5. You will be required to change the temporary password.
Note: You will receive the following message: Warning: Your password has expired, please change it now.
- At the NEW password: prompt, enter a new password of your choice. Make sure the new password meets the UNIX password requirements. See article Nova: Password Requirements
- At the Re-enter NEW password: prompt, retype your new password for verification. The connection may be lost when you press enter, but this means it was successful. Reconnect and log in with your new password.
Notes for SQL users:
- Passwords for SQL are synchronized with the initial temporary password for the Nova account.
- Use chgpass on a dbcourse server from a non-Windows computer.
- If you are using SSH from the command line on a non-Windows computer, AND you are attempting to change your password on a dbcourse server, you will enter: ssh chgpass@dbcourse#.umuc.edu (where # is the server your account is located on) and then skip over Step 2.