Locking a topic is an effective way of closing a conversation while allowing students to refer back to messages. You can specify a start and end date for when a forum or topic unlocks to set it up ahead of time to coordinate with your course calendar. When a topic or forum is locked, only individuals with special permission will be able to modify the content.
TIP: Consider locking a topic to end a conversation, and then use a pinned message to post a summary inside the topic. When students access the locked topic, your summary appears at the top.
- From the course home page, select Discussions. Note: You may be required to click the My Tools drop down menu to select Discussions.
- Click the drop down arrow next to the Forum or Topic you want to edit and select Edit Forum or Edit Topic. Note: You can also select visibility options when creating a new Forum or Topic.
- Under Locking Options, select Show locking options and select one of the following:
- Unlock forum
- Lock forum
- Unlock forum for a specific date range
- Unlock topic
- Lock topic
- Unlock topic for a specific date range
- Select Save and Close, Save and New, or Save.