Degree Plan: How do I change my major or minor?

It is important to work with an advisor when considering changes to your degree plan. An advisor can help you choose a program that best meets your academic goals. To speak with an advisor, view locate and contact an advisor.

To change your major or minor, send an e-mail request to the Advising department at Program changes take 24-48 business hours to process. You will be notified when your program change request has been completed.

In your e-mail, include the following information:

  • Name
  • Emplid (Student ID number)
  • Current Program
  • Requested Program

If you are requesting a change to one of the following majors, you must include a statement indicating you understand your catalog year will be changed to the year the program became active and you cannot return to your previous year:

  • Computer Networks and Cybersecurity
  • Cybersecurity Management and Policy
  • Health Services Management
  • Homeland Security
  • Software Development and Security

The Fall 2014 catalog for Health Services Management and Software Development and Security, Fall 2015 catalog for Cybersecurity Management and Policy and Computer Networks and Cybersecurity, and Fall 2017 catalog for Homeland Security can be found at

Army Students

For Army students using Tuition Assistance and the GoArmyEd portal, you must contact your Army Education Counselor or create a helpdesk ticket to change your major. A request to change the minor only can be made by replying to this e-mail with your request.

Students Using Veterans Education Benefits

  • Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation students: You must be approved by your case manager prior to requesting to change your degree plan.
  • For all students using VA Benefits, please note that you must submit VA Form 22-1995, "Request for Change of Program or Place of Training," to the VA when you change programs. This is to ensure continued approval of VA payments.
  • Dependents using transferred benefits must complete a different version of the form, VA Form 22-5495.
Forms can be submitted to the VA in 1 of 2 ways:
  • Submit online on the VA’s website via “Submit a Question” feature: (must have or create login)
  • Mail to: Department of Veterans Affairs, Buffalo Regional Processing Office, PO BOX #4616 Buffalo, NY 14240