Consortium Agreement: University of Maryland University College Students Taking Courses at Another Institution

During the course of your academic career at the University of Maryland University College, you may want to take a course(s) at another institution and transfer the course(s) back to your degree program at the University of Maryland University College.  This can be accomplished through a Consortium Agreement and you may be eligible to receive financial aid.

The Consortium Agreement is a contract between two colleges/universities that recognizes your registration at each location for financial aid purposes. It also certifies only one of the two institutions can administer Title IV and State financial aid.

If a student is interested in a Consortium Agreement between University of Maryland University College (home school) and another institution (host school), they must complete the following:

  • The student must speak with an advisor to have a Letter of Permission (LOP) for each course completed. The student must complete each form (for each class), and provide documentation of the course description.
  • Once the student submits the document back to their Academic Advisor, the document is then sent to the Degree Audit Team (DAT) to process. The team will make a decision if the course will transfer back to the University of Maryland University College.
  • The Degree Audit Team submits a copy of the Letter of Permission to the University of Maryland University College Financial Aid Office, either approved or denied. The Financial Aid office will only contact students whose LOP has been approved to complete the Consortium Agreement.
  • If the student is interested in financial aid, they must complete the Consortium Agreement contract. The student must then submit this information to the Host school to complete and confirm that the student is not receiving aid at the Host school.
  • Once approved and completed, the Consortium Agreement contract is scanned into the Document Management System.