Payments: Request for Exception to the Course Withdrawal and Tuition Refund Policies

The Request for Exception process is intended for students who encounter extenuating circumstances that may warrant exceptions to University of Maryland University College policies for course withdrawals and refunds. More information is available on our Refund Exceptions page. 

Important Information about using the online Request for Exception Form

  • Students are encouraged to provide all documentation that can support your appeal
  • The University of Maryland University College does not accept Electronic Signatures. Complete the form online, print the form, then apply your handwritten signature.
  • Once you begin the process of completing the form, you must complete the form in its entirety. Do not attempt to save the information you've entered for completion at a later time; the data you've entered will be lost.
  • The completed form can be faxed, mailed, or e-mailed to the Office of the Registrar using the contact information contained on the form.

Instructions to Complete the Request for Exception Form

Step 1. Visit the Refund Exceptions webpage. 

Step 2. Click the .pdf titled Request for Exception Form.

3. Download the form to your computer. 

Step 4. Open the form with Adobe Reader.

Step 5. Complete the form by typing in your information in Adobe Reader.

Step 6. When finished, select File in the menu bar and select Save As to title and save the completed document to your computer.

User-added image

Step 7. Send the completed form to the Office of the Registrar using the email, fax or mail addresses provided on the form.

Note: University of Maryland University College Stateside Division will receive and review requests for exceptions for withdrawals and tuition refund policies for all three Divisions (Stateside, Asia, and Europe).

Next Steps

  • Once an appeal is received, it can take up to 8 weeks for the committee to complete its review and make a decision. You can check on the status of your request by contacting the Office of the Registrar at

  • If you have an outstanding balance, we recommend paying it. If the appeal is approved you will receive a refund.

  • All unpaid balances, even those with an outstanding appeal, are eligible to be transferred to the State Central Collections Unit.