Many private, military, and government employers provide Tuition Assistance (TA) to their employees. If a student receives employer-provided TA, they must provide a Document of Authorization from their employer when they register for classes. Please note that a TA contract will not be accepted if it restricts payment or is in any way conditional.
1. Obtain a Document of Authorization from the employer.
A TA form is an agreement between the student and their employer (i.e., agency or sponsor) authorizing the University of Maryland University College to bill their account charges to the agency or sponsor. This can be a purchase order, TA form, or contract on company letterhead. This document must contain the following information:
A specific description of fees, charges, and the amount to be assumed by the agency, such as tuition, technology fee, application fee, schedule-adjustment fee, or late registration fee. No credit will be granted for any fees unless specified.
Your name and University of Maryland University College ID or Social Security Number
The semester or term covered by the document
The employer's billing address
The signature and telephone number of the authorizing official
Federal Tax ID (recommended)
2. Submit the Document of Authorization at the time of registration using any of the following methods:
Online (preferred method)
- Go to http://sites.umuc.edu/help
- Click Submit Documents, located on the right-side portion of the screen
- On the Email Support or Submit Documents page, click the Case Type drop down arrow and select Billing/Payments
- Click the Select Assistance Category drop down arrow and select Tuition Assistance.
- Complete all fields that apply and attach your Tuition Assistance Authorization form via the Upload Attachments section of the form
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject please type "TA Form"
TA request takes 1-2 business days to process. Once a TA contract is posted to the student account, the amount assumed by the agency is deferred to the agency account. No exchange of money has taken place at this time. The University of Maryland University College reserves the right to reinstate all unpaid tuition assistance invoices back to the student account. Please note that the student is ultimately responsible for all charges posted to their account.
TA forms that are not received within the allotted semester (Fall, Spring, and Summer) will not be posted. Exceptions will be made for deployed soldiers or in the event, corrections need to be made.
Tuition Assistance Frequently Asked Questions