FAQs for Military-Affiliated Students

Is UMUC an accredited university? +

UMUC is accredited and adheres to standards set by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. UMUC is one of the 12 member institutions of the renowned University System of Maryland.

Is UMUC a military-trusted university? +

Yes. UMUC is proud to have served the U.S. Armed Forces since 1947, and we have long been recognized as one of the top universities in the country for military-affiliated students. That means our leaders, administrators, and faculty understand the military and the demands of your job. We offer a range of programs and services created specifically for military personnel and their families, and our dedicated military and veteran advising teams are here to provide the guidance and support you need no matter where your service or civilian career takes you.

Does UMUC offer on-site and hybrid courses? +

Yes. UMUC offers hybrid courses (combining on-site meetings with online coursework and interactions) at more than 20 locations in the continental United States. On-site courses are offered through UMUC Asia and UMUC Europe in more than 20 countries and territories worldwide, including at military installations. In total, UMUC has more than 140 classroom and service locations throughout the world.

Is UMUC a respected school within the armed forces? +

At UMUC, you'll earn a degree that's respected on the job market and within the armed forces.

With more than 80,000 students and more than 50,000 military servicemembers, veterans, and military family members , we're known around the globe for our academic excellence. UMUC is one of the 12 member institutions of the renowned University System of Maryland.

UMUC has been serving veterans since 1947. We currently enroll more than 50,000 active-duty servicemembers, reservists, National Guard members, veterans, and their family members, and have earned a worldwide reputation for academic excellence.

UMUC has been recognized time and again for our dedication to serving America’s military veterans and servicemembers.

Does UMUC accept credit for military experience? +

Yes. Learn more about how you can earn credit for your military training and education.

If I'm in the military, what's the fastest path to a degree at UMUC? +

Pursue your associate's degree at UMUC, and we'll do everything we can to help you reach your goal as quickly as possible. This includes awarding you academic credit toward your degree for the valuable experience you've gained in the armed forces and your military education. Your credits can transfer toward general education requirements, coursework in your major, or electives. We offer many different paths to credit.

How do I submit proof of my military status to UMUC? +

If you an Army student using GoArmyEd, you do not need to submit this documentation. For all other students, view our steps to apply or contact an admissions advisor.

Can I take classes at UMUC if I’m deployed or have to move? +

Online learning gives you the flexibility to continue your education wherever your military service takes you. Our eight-week undergraduate courses help you fit your education around training and deployments.

Additionally, our experienced and military-trusted faculty and staff are here to help you. Professors can work with you to modify deadlines around your training and deployments. If your duty status prevents you from staying in a class, then our specially trained military staff can help you create a plan to stay on track.

Tuition and Payment FAQs

Can I afford to attend UMUC? +

With state university tuition rates, flexible transfer credit programs, scholarships, and financial aid, UMUC can help you bring a degree within reach. We'll help you develop a plan that's affordable for you.

How do I know if I qualify for the military tuition rate at UMUC? +

We help make education more affordable by offering a discounted military tuition rate.

You may be eligible for our undergraduate or graduate military tuition rate if you are an active-duty military servicemember or a member of the Selected Reserves, National Guard, or the Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

If you are a spouse or dependent child of one of these aforementioned student groups, you are eligible for the undergraduate military tuition rate. If you are a spouse of an active-duty servicemember or Commissioned Corps member of the USPHS or NOAA, you are eligible for the military graduate rate. Some dependent children are eligible for the military graduate rate as well.

Although spouses of military veterans are not eligible for the special military tuition rate, they may be able to use transferred veteran's education benefits or other payment options at UMUC.

Student veterans can qualify for the military rate if they are currently in one of the military categories listed above, or they may qualify for the in-state rate if they are residing in Maryland and meet certain other requirements. Spouses and children of veterans may also qualify for the in-state rate if they are residing in Maryland and meet certain other requirements. Please contact our Residency office at residency@umuc.edu for more information.

Additionally, our admissions advisors can help you pursue all payment options, including educational benefits, financial aid, and scholarships.

Where can I find UMUC's tuition rates? +

Learn all you can about our affordable tuition rates. If you know which program you're interested in, you can find ballpark costs on the degree or certificate page.

Does UMUC have a payment plan for tuition and fees? +

Yes. Learn more about how you can manage your payments with UMUC's interest-free monthly payment plan.

Can I use a payment plan to assist in settling my account balance? +

Yes. You could be eligible to participate in an interest-free monthly payment plan. This plan gives you financial flexibility by allowing you to spread out payment for tuition and fees over several months. Instead of writing one big check to cover your college costs, you can make several smaller, more manageable monthly payments—and there are absolutely no interest charges, just a small nonrefundable application fee. Talk to an admissions advisor to learn more.

Will military Tuition Assistance cover my costs at UMUC? +

Military Tuition Assistance is a benefit that pays for your tuition. Each branch of the armed forces has its own criteria for this assistance. If you qualify, your branch will pay UMUC directly, reducing your out-of-pocket costs. While Tuition Assistance pays up to 100 percent of your undergraduate tuition, it does not cover all costs, such as books or all graduate tuition. Financial aid can help meet these additional costs.

If I qualify for military Tuition Assistance, when can I expect it to be applied? +

Tuition Assistance will be applied to your account within 48 hours of receipt. If your account does not reflect your tuition assistance payment after 48 hours, please contact Third-Party Billing.

How do I apply for Tuition Assistance if I'm in the Coast Guard, Navy, or Marine Corps? +

Please visit Tuition Assistance for Military Personnel and go to the Military Branches section for information about Tuition Assistance for members of the military.

Can I use my military benefits to complete a second bachelor's or master's degree? +

No. If you’ve already earned a bachelor’s or master’s degree, the military will not pay for another bachelor’s or master’s degree. The military will only pay for one of each.

Can I use my veterans benefits to complete a second bachelor's or master's degree? +

If you have already earned a bachelor's or master's degree and you have eligibility for benefits remaining, benefits are allowed for a second bachelor's or master's degree. To find out how much of your veterans benefits you have remaining, please contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

How do I find out which military and/or veterans education benefits I qualify for? +

Only the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs can determine your eligibility for benefits.

You are required to complete the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) to apply for veterans benefits. You will receive an automated e-mail response confirming your application has been received.

While the VA processes the VONAPP (which may take up to eight weeks), you should complete the UMUC Request for Certification. You may have your military transcripts and transcripts from any other schools sent to us while your VONAPP is being processed. Once you receive your Certification of Eligibility from the VA, you are required to submit the form to the Veterans Certification Office at COEVA@umuc.edu.

Learn more about certification of veterans benefits.

How do hybrid courses affect housing allowance? +

As a military veteran, if you qualify for veterans education benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you may be eligible for a housing allowance.

Our military and veterans admissions advisors can help you understand how the classes you take affect your housing benefit. For students interested in full-time enrollment, we recommend you pursue at least 6 credits at a time and at least 12 credits per semester for undergraduate students and at least 6 credits at a time for graduate students. We also recommend you take at least one hybrid course in each session. Hybrid classes combine online coursework with on-site meetings at our 20+ locations in Maryland, D.C., and Virginia.

We offer hybrid courses in the first and last eight-week sessions of our academic calendar. We recommend you take take 6 credits in Session 1 and 6 credits in Session 2. During each session, at least one course should be a hybrid course. This will ensure four months of uninterrupted housing allowance in the spring and fall semesters.

Does UMUC participate in the Post-9/11 GI Bill Yellow Ribbon Program? +

Yes. Under the Yellow Ribbon Program, UMUC maintains a voluntary agreement with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. We contribute funds to help make up the portion of your tuition and fees that is not covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill, an education benefit program for veteran student who were active-duty military personnel after September 10, 2001. The Yellow Ribbon Program enables us to contribute up to 50 percent of your unmet costs, and the Department of Veterans Affairs matches that amount. You are required to be 100 percent eligible for Post-9/11 benefits to receive Yellow Ribbon funding.

Can I transfer my military education benefits to a spouse or dependent? +

The Department of Defense determines if a military servicemember can transfer his or her Post-9/11 education benefits to a spouse or dependent. If a spouse or dependent is approved, the spouse or family member must apply to use the transferred benefits by completing VA Form 22-1990e.