Frequently Asked Questions

Here you can find answers to frequently asked questions about paying your tuition.

How do I know what date my tuition is due?

You can view your account through MyUMUC.

  • Login to MyUMUC.
  • Select Student Center.
  • Select View Account/Make a Payment (located under Finances).
  • Select Account Activity.
The due date is listed for each charge.

When can I expect my tuition assistance to be applied?

Tuition Assistance is applied to your account within 48 hours of receipt. If your account does not reflect your tuition assistance payment after 48 hours, please contact our office at 855-655-UMUC (8682).

How can I confirm that you received my tuition assistance?

There is currently not an online confirmation process for tuition assistance forms. If your account does not reflect your tuition assistance payment after 72 hours, please contact our office at 855-655-UMUC (8682).

When will I receive my refund?

Refunds for payments in excess of your charges are generated the business day after the funds are made available as shown below, depending on the source of the payment.

  • Personal check payments are processed 21 days after the credit becomes available. After the refund has posted, you can expect a direct deposit refund in three to five business days or a check refund in seven to 11 business days.
  • Electronic check payments are processed 10 days after the credit becomes available. After the refund has posted, you can expect a direct deposit refund in three to five business days or a check refund in seven to 11 business days.
  • Credit card refunds are generated weekly and will be credited to the card originally used.
  • Financial aid disbursements are made no sooner than 10 days prior to the start of your active half-time enrollment for the semester. After the credit becomes available, financial aid refunds are issued on Tuesdays and Thursdays. After the refund has posted, you can expect a direct deposit refund in three to five business days or a check refund in seven to 11 business days.
  • Cash or money order refunds are processed the following business day. After the refund has posted, you can expect a direct deposit refund in three to five business days or a check refund in seven to11 business days.

Can you deposit my refund directly into my bank account?

Yes. You can sign up to have your refunds deposited directly into your checking or savings account.

To be eligible, all you need is an active U.S. bank account, your routing number, and your account number. Sign up now through MyUMUC.

  • Login to MyUMUC.
  • Select Student Center.
  • Select the Other Financial dropdown box (located under Finances).
  • Select Enroll in Direct Deposit.
  • Select the Enroll in Direct Deposit box, complete all of the fields, and click Next.
  • Read the agreement details, agree to the terms and conditions, and click Submit.
  • You will be presented with a confirmation that the bank information was successfully added. Click Proceed to Enroll in Direct Deposit.
  • Select the account for direct deposit. You can only add one account, and that account will receive 100% of the refund. From the dropdown menu, select Next and confirm your selection by clicking on Proceed to Enroll in Direct Deposit.
  • After reading and agreeing to authorize UMUC to deposit funds into your account, please check the agreement box and click Submit.

Can I request an extension on my due date?

Unfortunately no. However, if you are experiencing difficulty with the application of your payment option, please contact us at

Why hasn't my personal check been applied to my account?

Payments are applied within 24 hours of receipt.If your personal check is not applied to your account within 7-10 business days after you mailed it to UMUC,e-mail us at or call us at 855-655-UMUC (8682).

For what timeframe does the 1098T cover?

The 1098T form summarizes what UMUC billed you within a particular calendar year starting from January 1 through December 31.

Can you send my 1098T to me electronically?

You can print the form by logging into your MyUMUC account. To access, view, and/or print your 1098-T Tax Form, please login to your MyUMUC account.

  1. Log in to MyUMUC.
  2. Select Student Center.
  3. Click on 1098-T (located under finances).
  4. Select the applicable tax year.

How can I obtain a copy of my statement of account?

To receive your statement of account, please e-mail the Office of Student Accounts at or call us at 855-655-UMUC (8682).

Where can I find the tuition rates for this term?

Tuition rates can be found by visiting the Tuition and Payments web site.

How do I make a payment?

For your convenience, UMUC accepts a variety of payment methods, including major credit cards, check and money order, and e-check.

Credit Card (AMEX, Discover, Visa, or MasterCard)

To pay any UMUC account balances online, log in to MyUMUC, then select Student Center > View Account/Make a Payment (located under Finances)  > Make a Payment.

Check and Money Order

Check and money order payments can be made in person or mailed to

University of Maryland University College
Office of Student Accounts
3501 University Boulevard East
Adelphi, MD 20783


UMUC now accepts e-checks, a fast and convenient way to pay your account balance directly from your checking account.

How can I see how much I owe?

Access your student account through MyUMUC.

  1. Login to MyUMUC.
  2. Select Student Center.
  3. Select View Account/Make a Payment.

Current Account Status
shows your student account balance. Further details are available if you click on View Account Activity.

Why was my credit card declined?

If your credit card was declined at the time of submission, you may want to check the account number to confirm the information was entered correctly. Otherwise, a decline means that funds were insufficient.

If you are using a VISA check card and the card was declined, you may want to call your bank to verify the limit the bank sets on these transactions.

What happens if I don't pay my bill?

If you do not pay your account balance by the due date, you may be disenrolled from your classes and lose eligibility for other services, such as receipt of transcripts and diplomas.

Per State of Maryland regulations, unpaid accounts are generally considered delinquent at 90 days past due. At that time, an unpaid account is eligible for transfer to the State of Maryland Central Collection Unit.

Can I use a payment plan to assist in settling my student account balance?

UMUC's interest-free monthly payment plan gives you financial flexibility by allowing you to spread out payment for tuition and fees over several months. Instead of writing one big check to cover your college costs, you may make several smaller, more manageable monthly payments—and there are absolutely no interest charges, just a small non-refundable, application fee.

To enroll in the interest-free monthly payment plan:

  • Login to MyUMUC
  • Select Student Center
  • Select Payment Plan.
  • You will be directed to the Student Account Center. Select the term in which you want to use a payment plan and then you will immediately see all available options.

For more information about the monthly payment plan, please call 855-655-UMUC to speak with one of our friendly and knowledgeable customer service representatives.

How can I prevent my account from being transferred to State Central Collections Unit (SCCU)?

In order to prevent your account from being transferred to SCCU you can either pay the account in full or, if eligible, enroll in one of our prior balance payment plans. To check your eligibility for our prior balance plans, you may e-mail us at or call 855-655-UMUC (8682).

Can I register when I sign up for a prior balance plan?

Unfortunately, enrolling in a prior balance payment plan will not afford you the opportunity to register for additional classes, nor will it prevent you from being dropped from future course enrollment.

Why am I receiving notices to pay when I have an active payment plan?

Please be advised that you may continue to receive notices until your balance is paid in full as all notices are automatically sent to every student with a balance.As long as your monthly payments are made on time, a hold will remain on your student account to prevent further collection.

How long will it take for my Payment Authorization to be processed?

It will take up to 5 business days for a Payment Authorization Application to be processed.Once complete, you will receive notification by e-mail.

Can I use my financial aid to cover my prior balance?

To have your previous balance covered with your current financial aid, you must meet the below requirements and complete a payment authorization request. Read the terms and conditions carefully, complete the form, and submit it by fax to 301-985-7858, e-mail to, or upload to Help@UMUC by selecting "Continue" under the heading Open Case/Submit Documents. Under Case Type, select "Billing/Payments," then select "Other" as the Assistance Category.

Financial aid can be used to cover prior balances as long as the following requirements are met:

  • Enrollment in at least 6 credits for the current term
  • Submission of all required financial aid documents needed to ensure disbursement of funds
  • Acceptance of financial aid in the amount equal or greater to the total balance, including your prior balance
  • That balance is not more than $200 from a previous academic year (the academic year starts in the fall and ends in the summer; this rule does not apply to balances within the same academic year)

What happens if my account goes to collections?

Once a balance has been transferred to the State Central Collections Unit (SCCU), a collections fee of 17 percent is added to the total amount transferred. SCCU also reports all transferred balances to the major credit bureaus.

Can I pay my SCCU account at UMUC?

You must contact SCCU to make all payment arrangements.You can contact SCCU at 410-767-1220, toll free at 800-705-3493 or visit the Maryland Department of Budget and Management Web site.

Can I continue my education at UMUC after I pay SCCU in full?

Once an account has been paid in full at SCCU, all requests for services (registration, transcripts, diplomas, commencement reviews, transcript reviews, etc.) will be restored.After payment in full has been made to SCCU, please have SCCU send us a "Paid in Full" receipt by fax to 301-985-7858.

I cannot afford the payment plan options offered.What else can I do?

Some students choose private or alternative student loans as a supplement or alternative to federal loans. Alternative or private loans are available to credit-worthy borrowers and usually have higher interest rates than federal loans. Please note that some lenders may cover additional educational expenses including previous college balances.

Does UMUC work with a lender that offers alternative loans to UMUC students?

UMUC does not endorse any specific lender or group of lenders. Please check with your bank or lending institution to find information on participating lenders, application requirements, interest rates, loan limits and repayment options.

Why do I need to give my consent under Payment Responsibility?

You are required to check "I understand" under Payment Responsibility to ensure that you understand your payment responsibilities and deadlines. Payment is due at the time of registration. If payment is not made by the due date, you may be dropped (disenrolled) from your courses for non-payment or prohibited from incurring new charges.

Can I view my account or make a payment from my smartphone or iPad?

Yes. The Student Account Center is mobile-friendly. You can view your account balance and make a payment from any electronic device such as a computer, smartphone, or tablet.

Can I add a secondary e-mail address for notifications?

Yes. Your preferred e-mail address in PeopleSoft will automatically update in your personal profile. However, if you enter an alternative or secondary address, communications generated by the Student Center will be delivered to both e-mail addresses. You will receive notifications whenever a new billing statement is available, if a payment is made, or if a change is requested. To add a secondary address, please follow the steps below.

  1. Log in to MyUMUC.
  2. Select Student Center.
  3. Click on View Account/Make a Payment (located under Finances).
  4. In the Personal Profile section (under My Account/Personal Profile), add an alternate e-mail address.
  5. Click Save Changes.

What is an authorized user and how do I set up an authorized user?

An authorized user is a spouse, parent, friend, or family member who you choose to give permission to access your account information.

You may give an authorized user access to view

  • billing statements and account activity
  • payment history and account activity

In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, UMUC cannot share your financial information with a third party without your consent. Therefore, when you add an authorized user, you are giving your written consent that the individual may view your account information and make payments on your behalf.

Authorized users cannot see your stored payment methods, academic records, or other personal information.

To add an authorized user, please follow the steps below.

  1. Log in to MyUMUC.
  2. Select Student Center.
  3. Click on View Account/Make a Payment (located under Finances).
  4. Click on Authorized Users (under My Account).
  5. Enter the name and e-mail address of the authorized user.
  6. Answer yes or no to the questions below.
    • Would you like to allow this person to view your billing statement and account activity?
    • Would you like to allow this person to view your payment history and account activity?

    (Please note: If you select no to both questions, the authorized user will only be able to make payments.)

  7. Click on Update User.
  8. Click on Print Agreement.