These guidelines for social media at the University of Maryland University College apply to individuals who create or contribute content to UMUC blogs, social networking pages, wikis, or any other kind of social media. We also recommend you review the University System of Maryland Policy on Student Social Media Privacy.
Topics of Discussion
We welcome your comments on UMUC’s social media sites. Comments should be courteous and relevant to UMUC and/or the ongoing discussion on that page. Commercial advertising and spam will not be tolerated.
Quality Matters, Even Online
Information posted online may be difficult to remove or fix, leaving an Internet trail that is essentially permanent. Carefully consider what you are about to post, and make an effort to be clear, complete, and concise. You are fully responsible for the content of your contributions.
Do not post or share someone else’s material without the owner’s permission. Please adhere to copyright and fair use guidelines.
Comment Moderation and Monitoring Content
Following are some general guidelines:
- Please make sure you are posting in an appropriate manner. We will remove posts that use inappropriate or defamatory language. We will also remove repeated posts containing the same content or spamming.
- Please make sure you do not post personal information such as student ID numbers, social security numbers, etc. If you need assistance, e-mail us directly at email@example.com.
- Please note that if you are part of the UMUC faculty or staff or you are affiliated with UMUC in any way, we welcome your posts, but you are not authorized to speak on behalf of the university without approval.
- Please understand this is a community for people to share news and information about UMUC. If you post information that advertises or promotes other products or services or that is not relevant to UMUC, your post may be removed.
- Please tell us what you think! We are here to listen to YOU. We welcome all comments that do not violate the above guidelines and will respond as quickly as possible to them.
Social Media Terms and Conditions
- Facebook: Statement of Rights and Responsibilities
- Flickr (Yahoo!): Terms of Service and Community Guidelines
- Google + (Google): Terms of Service and User Content and Conduct Policy
- LinkedIn: User Agreement
- Pinterest: Terms of Service
- Slideshare: Community Guidelines
- Twitter: Terms of Service
- YouTube: Terms of Service and Community Guidelines