Getting a head start at University of Maryland University College could be as easy as passing approved examinations and earning college credit. You can earn credits toward your associate's degree (for military and veteran students) or bachelor's degree via credit by exam. You can earn these credits as long as there is no duplication of academic credit and your scores meet UMUC standards.

UMUC Test Centers

Location CLEP DSST Pearson VUE Proctored Exams
Dorsey Station
Elkridge, MD
Eglin Air Force Base
Eglin Air Force Base, FL
Fort Bliss
Fort Bliss, TX
Fort Gordon
Fort Gordon, GA
Joint Base Andrews
Joint Base Andrews, MD
National Security Agency
Fort Meade, MD

Proctored Exams

Proctored exams are available for students transferring from UMUC Europe or UMUC Asia.


Our test center offers computer-based College Level Examination Program, or CLEP, exams. CLEP study guides are available at most bookstores or you can order online through the College Board. The UMUC code number is 5804. You must enter this number on your exam material if you want your score sent to UMUC.


The nationally recognized DSST program, formerly known as DANTES Subject Standardized Tests, allows you to earn college credits for learning acquired outside the traditional classroom. The UMUC code number is 9357. You must enter this number on your exam material if you want your score sent to UMUC. The Principles of Public Speaking exam is available by appointment only by contacting your location or e-mailing Exams and Testing.

Pearson VUE

Pearson VUE testing includes academic, government, health, IT certifications, professional certifications and licensure exams, such as ASMC, Cisco, CompTIA, DSS, Excelsior, GMAT, ISC2, NREMT, PTCB, and much more. We also offer Pearson VUE Computerized GED Exams. The Pearson VUE exam is available by appointment only.

Other Exams

Advanced Placement Exams

Advanced placement and college credit may be granted to students who enter UMUC directly from a secondary school, on the basis of scores on a College Board Advanced Placement (AP) examination. These examinations are normally administered to eligible high school seniors during the May preceding matriculation in college.

A student intending to transfer AP credit that was awarded at another college or similar institution must have a transcript of those scores sent directly to UMUC from the College Board. When those scores have been received, an evaluator will determine whether they meet the standards established at UMUC for granting AP credit, and how much credit may be awarded.

Cambridge International Examinations

UMUC accepts credits for advanced-level exams taken through Cambridge International Examinations when scores meet UMUC standards. Official transcripts, with scores, must be sent directly to UMUC for review.

Excelsior College Exams

Students at University of Maryland University College may earn credit for successfully completing subject tests offered by Excelsior College. Anyone may register for UExcel exams, which include topics like business, education, humanities, math, natural sciences, nursing, social sciences, technology, and more. Individuals do not have to be students at Excelsior College to take UExcel exams; however, Excelsior College Examinations in nursing are only available to students enrolled in Excelsior's associate nursing programs.

International Baccalaureate Exams

If you completed your International Baccalaureate exam before graduating from high school, you could be able to transfer applicable credits to your UMUC degree.

Industry-Specific Certification

If you’ve taken one of several industry-standard certification exams (such as CompTIA, Microsoft, or Cisco) within the past five years, UMUC could accept your certification for college credit. You'll just need to submit documentation of your certification. See which certifications you can turn into credit.

Course Challenge Exams

After you are a student at UMUC, you can apply for a Course Challenge exam (offered through our Prior Learning program). In this program, you can earn credit by taking the equivalent of the final exam for a UMUC course.

UMUC Foreign Language Experience Questionnaire

You can earn credits for your experience in foreign languages by filling out our Foreign Language Questionnaire and going through a credit-by-credit evaluation to determine transfer credit eligibility.

Additional Information

UMUC also accepts credit for professional examinations listed in the American Council on Education Guide to Educational Credit by Examination. We may accept credits by examination awarded by other approved institutions for courses that appear on an official transcript with a grade of C or better. If you have questions about credit by examination, contact an admissions advisor.

Limitations for Credit by Exam

Learn about the limitations on credit by exam.

  • You can't attempt credit by examination if you are taking an exam for a course which already appears on your transcript.
  • Normally, no more than 6 examination credits will be accepted during your last 30 credits.
  • If you are pursuing a second bachelor's degree, you can't use standardized examination credit to satisfy the requirement for graduation that courses be taken at UMUC.

More in Credit by Exam

Find alternative U.S. sites for paper- or computer-based placement tests.

Request score reports from placement testing agencies.