UMUC at a Glance
UMUC is a University System of Maryland institution with a significant national profile.
- We enrolled more students worldwide in FY 2013 than any other four-year, degree-granting public university in the United States.*
- The number of stateside students has increased by more than 25 percent over the last 10 years—to 39,557 in fall 2013.
- UMUC's student headcount is estimated to grow 13 percent by 2023, according to projections by the Maryland Board of Regents.
UMUC is a world leader in online education.
- We counted more than 243,000 worldwide online course enrollments in FY 2014.
- We offer more than 90 bachelor's and master's degree programs and certificates fully online.
- We offered more than 1,000 distinct courses online in FY 2014.
- We have received five Sloan Consortium Excellence in Online Teaching and Learning awards:
- Excellence in Faculty Development for Online Teaching
- Excellence in Institution-Wide Asynchronous Learning Network Programming
- Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program for Master of Business Administration
- Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program for Master of DistanceEducation
- Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program for Master of Science in Biotechnology
UMUC is a Maryland institution addressing Maryland's needs.
- In FY 2014, we served more than 32,000 Maryland residents and offered on-site instruction at 18 locations throughout the state.
- Maryland residents represented 59 percent of our fall 2013 stateside enrolled students.
- We enrolled more than 4,300 students in the undergraduate and graduate cybersecurity programs in fall 2013.
- We have alliances with all 16 Maryland community colleges, and those alliances include more than 300 articulated programs.
UMUC is a global institution.
- Our overseas divisions offered on-site classes in more than 25 countries and territories throughout the world in FY 2014, enrolling 27,773 students in undergraduate and graduate programs in Asia and Europe.
- We've received three IMS Global Learning Consortium awards:
- Learning Impact Award
- Best in Category, Faculty Development Network for the UMUC faculty e-zine
- Best in Category, Online Laboratory for our online, hands-on labs in informationassurance
UMUC provides access to higher education for minority students.
- We enroll more African American students than any of the four historically black colleges and universities in Maryland. In fall 2013, 32 percent of UMUC's stateside students were African American; minority students comprised 49 percent of our total enrollment.
- In FY 2014, 31 percent of our students who took at least one online class were African American.
- In FY 2014, 37 percent of the master's degrees we conferred were awarded to African American students; 30 percent of all degrees and certificates at UMUC were awarded to African American students.
UMUC provides access to higher education for working adults.
- As of spring 2014, 74 percent of undergraduate students enrolled in UMUC's stateside programs were working full-time.
- More than half–54 percent–of our stateside students are working parents.
- In fall 2013, the median age for students enrolled in our stateside undergraduateprograms was 31.
UMUC continues its proud history of delivering higher education to military members.
- Today, about 54,000 active-duty military, reservists, dependents, and veterans are enrolled at UMUC.
- Currently, we offer courses and/or services at more than 140 worldwide locations on four continents.
- Military Times ranked UMUC No. 1 in its Best for Vets: Colleges 2015 annual survey of online and non-traditional colleges and universities.
- Victory Media, Inc., publisher of the magazines G.I. Jobs,Military Spouse, and Vetrepreneur, named UMUC to the 2015 list of Military Friendly Schools.
*Comparing UMUC FY 2013 worldwide unduplicated headcount with headcounts of all other public, four-year, degree-granting institutions, as reported by IPEDS (Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System)
Updated March 2015